Epoxy question

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by blakey1973, Jul 15, 2007.

1. blakey1973

blakey1973 Junior Member

I have a question. If i use one brand of epoxy can I use another brand long as I am going over cured epoxy.

I found a better supplier.

2. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

Yes, I think so.
    You have probably read about washin the surface between layers.

3. mike steiger

mike steiger Junior Member

Hi Blakey,
    I don't see a problem with it. But I do not know why you don't just go with a non blushing type. Mas or this one from www.aeromarineproducts.com.

4. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

Sanding is best

Sand it a little, make a little rough

5. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Sanding is always best, 36 to 50 grit being my favorites. I do this even if the cure isn't complete, at least with structural stuff. Mostly to knock down rough spots that will prevent the next layer from being smooth. It's softer then, and while it loads sandpaper, the paper itself can be somewhat worn anyway--- good use for it.

Alan

6. blakey1973

blakey1973 Junior Member

Thats the reason I ask the question see I bought it from another place and then found A cheaper place to buy it. Just did not know if if one brand would react to another.

7. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

One Comment. I am presently changing epoxy providers. The quality of my present one is becoming questionable. The epoxy is old and had moisture in it, causing it not to cure properly. Cheaper epoxy may not always be best. They are not all created equal.

8. frosh

frosh Senior Member

There are really two questions of importance here. Firstly, not all epoxy resins are created equal for continual water immersion. Many are produced for the construction industry, and often these will have lower longevity in a marine environment, due to higher than acceptable water permeability. So firstly the epoxy properties need to be carefully checked out, and it is well worth not choosing a type based on cost alone.
    Second, cured epoxy is a very inert substrate, so can be recoated with many other treatments, as long as an excellent mechanical key is made to ensure excellent adhesion between the old and new layers. Sanding with a coarse or medium grit abrasive is a standard method, and can be expected to usually work very well.