Replacing Flooring/Deck on my Sea Ray 390 Express cruiser

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Masterblaster58, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Masterblaster58

Masterblaster58 New Member

The original plywood decking in the people compartment is getting soft due to a leaking water tank. Was thinking about using PVC plywood sheets to make it a one time repair. Has anyone done this?

Attached Files:

2. keysdisease

keysdisease Senior Member

PVC board is as heavy as plywood, doesn't have much compression strength and doesn't bring much stiffness to the project. Plywood and epoxy will be easy and hold up longer than the original installation.

As far as Express Boats go, I always liked the Sea Ray 390's. I think the way the salon opens up with the sliding partition was a pretty cool idea.

:cool:

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Welcome to the forum.

Agreed PVC panels aren't structural and can't even support their own weight, so a poor choice for a sole replacement. You can use other materials, though when compared to the cost/strength per dollar of plywood, you get quite a shock.

4. missinginaction

missinginaction Senior Member

I couldn't agree more with the previous two posts. Done correctly (which takes a little time and attention to detail) plywood/fiberglass/epoxy composite panels are relatively inexpensive and very durable. The key is to do the job right. Cut any corners and you will develop problems. Search the forums to find the information you need. The work is easily within the capabilities of any reasonably competent handyman or do it yourselfer.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.