'glass covering

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by billjoat, Feb 25, 2009.

1. billjoat

billjoat Junior Member

I'm currently building a Spira 24' chesapeake stretched to 26'. Ply on frame construction. I've 12oz biaxed the seams and am now proceding to cover the hull. Is 6oz cloth a suitable glass along with epoxy for the covering or do I really need to step up to something like the 12 oz biax like I used for the seams? I'm thinking a 6oz cloth layer with an extra layer of epoxy will smooth it out rather nicely for waterproofing and I do not need the extra strength of the biax since its framed the way it is.

Thanks

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Biax is a lot harder to smooth out the regular cloth, use the 6 ounce. 6 ounce is fairly light weight stuff, but will offer abrasion protection and water proofness. I generally use 8 ounce and a minimum hull sheathing, unless it's a bright finish, where I use 4 ounce.

A 12 ounce sheath is pretty thick and heavy. I wouldn't bother unless you expect fairly rough usage.

A single layer of biax on the outside seams is fine, but do yourself a favor and use a healthy fillet (50% silica, 50% milled fibers is a good mixture) on the inside and a couple of staggered layers of biax on these seams. The inside seams will be taking the brunt of the loading, so make them stiff.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.