Replacing floor & stringers

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by gbaaron, Jun 6, 2004.

1. gbaaron

gbaaron Junior Member

I have a 20' baja that has rotton floor & stringers. any tips and info would be much appriciated. Also with this kind of structural dammage will the boat ever be the same even when fixed.

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

It is possible to repair it to a safe condition. However, if you have no experience, it may be better to have a professional do it. It involves cutting all the rotted wood out grinding the fiberglass, fitting new wood and firberglassing everything. The job is very unpleasant. If you decide to do it yourself, there are several threads on the subject. If you can't find anyone locally let me know, I can help you.

3. finley

finley Junior Member

Hi
    This is my first time posting here. Can anyone help me with what kind of matrial should I use to replace my boat stringers.I use the boat for family outings and mostly racing. I being told that its to heavy, and to lessen the wieght I have to change the floor and stringers. The boat is a 31foot twister that wieght 13300lbs, the stringers in the boat are 4 2x12 pressure treated beams, there is no form in the boat, and the floor is 3/4 pressure treated plywood. Thanks for any help.

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The stringers are a minimal proportion of the total weight. There is very little reduction you could do without sacrificing the structural integrity.

5. finley

finley Junior Member

Thanks for the info, you just save me a lot of money

Thanks for the info, you just save me a lot of money

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.