epoxy or polyester resin

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by gbaaron, Jun 19, 2004.

1. gbaaron

gbaaron Junior Member

I am replacing the floor and stringers in my baja force 200. I hear from some people that epoxy is better & others say that I should use polyester resin because thats what the boat is made of. what do you guys think?
    Thanks, Aaron

2. Misogynist

Misogynist Junior Member

I replaced stringers and bulkheads in my fountain... I used epoxy and had great results with handling the epoxy and it's adhesion qualities... . The best part about using epoxy for repairs is the fact that it doesn't "go off" like polyester... as the epoxy cures it slowly gets thicker... until it hardens... so if there is an area of cloth that "lifts"... such as around a radius... you can work with it while it stiffens... Once polyester and vinylester starts to go... it's history...

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

The bottom line is epoxy is stronger in every way we measure, it sticks better, is a little easier to use and the trade off is that it costs more then the 'esters.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.