Boat hull restoration advise needed

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by seymourperry, Sep 9, 2011.

1. seymourperry

seymourperry Junior Member

I’m currently in the process of restoring a Tremlett 19. Having stripped the old deck and deck beams out I noticed the bow tank (now removed) must of sprung a leak at some stage and the plywood inner core in the bow was rotten as hell.

As you’ll see from the pictures I’ve started to strip back the rotten wood leaving most of the bow now right down to the fiberglass hull and there is about 10cm at the top of the hull which is also rotten through water ingress probably due to not being properly covered up by previous owners.

In addition the stem from the keel line to the front of the bow is rotten and needs to be replaced.

My question is, in order to get back some of the rigidity of the original plywood inner core and tops of the hull what is the best way to re-line it, is it as simple as cutting some replacement marine ply sections and then fix them on to sound boards and the exposed fiberglass hull or is there a stronger method I should use to integrate the new inner to the existing and dry ply?

Thanks for all your help in advance.

Attached Files:

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

From the photo it looks like a cold molded hull with fiberglass sheathing. If you want to keep the original shape and have a fair hull, you will have to build molds to support the skin so you can lay the wood veneers inside.

3. m3mm0s rib

m3mm0s rib Senior Member

Thoroughly clean and plywood and put back the missing pieces. The association of a spar with the other should be 45 degrees and glued together with epoxy. Make some scratches on the plywood and put your hands mat needed to have the same thickness as the original. If you do not have space problem, you can put a picket fence.

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

5. m3mm0s rib

m3mm0s rib Senior Member