Epoxy Layers, Sanding, and Paint

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by Mr V, Sep 12, 2006.

1. Mr V

Mr V Junior Member

I am putting a good coat on the keel and bottom of my little 8 foot skiff. I have just put the first coat of epoxy on one side of the keel, as it is on it's side to prevent the epoxy from running off the sides of the keel.

I have read through several topics on this and still have a question. In one place it states that you sand after the third coat, in another it says to sand after each coat.

My questions are:
    1. Which method should I follow as I desire the best 'smooth' I can get, for a first timer at epoxy?

2. I am actually doing a repair job on this boat. It started out with no epoxy finish, just ply and enamel latex paint. After an unfriendly move (^$#%#$ movers), my hull ended up with a crack, so I figured I would just epoxy the bottom of the hull and put a full size keel on it at the same time (Don't laugh, it actually looks good). I only sanded the paint off of the bottom of the hull and want to keep using this paint. Is my Enamel Latex paint going to stick to the epoxy after I get it all sanded down smooth?

Thanks!

2. hansp77

hansp77

as far as I know,
    First you should wipe down thoroughly the cured epoxy with metho to remove any blush (even if it is a non-blush epoxy).
    Then sand between every coat.

Alternatively, and the method I have used is to wait for the first coat to go tacky, and then apply another coat- wet on wet. I think, this way the amine blush just follows on into the next reaction.
    I think you can do three coats like this- however, an expert will surely correct my errors...

For painting, again, wipe with metho, sand, and then prime with a proper primer suited to epoxy, and to whatever your topcoat paint is.

Hans.

3. Toot

Toot Senior Member

Definitely sand any coat that has fully cured for a few days or more.

You can just go on top of anything that hasn't cured for more than 24 hours or so.

4. Mr V

Mr V Junior Member

Just to make sure I am clear, what are you calling metho?

5. hansp77

hansp77

metholated spirits,
    or thinners, or a solvent of some type.

6. Mr V

Mr V Junior Member

Got it! Thanks.

7. BOATMIK

BOATMIK Deeply flawed human being

HI,

There is a whole lot of different info here on my FAQ
    http://www.storerboatplans.com/Faq/faqindex.html
    suitable for getting an overview on how to use epoxy and get reasonable surface finishes as well as use the material efficiently.

Best Regards

8. JR-Shine

JR-Shine SHINE

The best way to get a smooth finish is to apply many thin coats vs. a couple heavy coats. Using a foam roller cover, you roll an EVEN and thin coats. This will build up equal thickness all over the part. If you use a brush, some spots will have too much (sand it down) and other parts will not have enough (apply more) this adds up to a lot of wasted epoxy.

Ideally, you roll on subsequent coats as soon as the previous is tack free, that way you dont have to sand in between - only the last one.

Joel