Epoxy Integral Potable Water Tanks - Regulations? Health Issues?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by CatBuilder, Oct 10, 2011.

1. pauloman

pauloman Epoxy Vendor

new potable water tests and standards coming out. Now there are a few coatings approved for tanks as small as 50 gallons. Tests also now include lead tesing....

paul oman
    progressive epoxy polymers, inc

2. Deering

Deering Senior Member

Would activated carbon filters be effective in removing BPA or other typical epoxy leachates from drinking water? That would probably address most of the other concerns raised here regarding tank crud.

3. snowbirder

snowbirder Previous Member

I had researched this.

Yes, water filters of the right size (microns) do eliminate the rather large BPA molecule from the water.

Being so estrogenic, I didn't want BPA exposure in the shower or on my dishes either.

You'd have to filter all water.

4. AndySGray

AndySGray Senior Member

Yep, Estrogenic is bad.

Somebody told me that beer has estrogenic properties - drink too much and you lose the ability to drive, you grow breasts and take on the appearance of pregnancy, walk like ladies do while wearing high heels, and start talking nonsense :p:p:p

5. jdory

jdory Senior Member

Apologies on reviving an old thread but I'm wondering if FBZ used his Brewcoat? Can't email to find out so hence this post.

I've inherited some Brewcoat so was planning on using that to coat some wood/fiberglass/epoxy tanks I've built. I found one instance where a fellow used it on his sailboat and didn't like the taste of it: http://www.pearson365.com/forum/index.php?topic=1030.0 but when resorting to a charcoal filter found it acceptable.

I've also found it very thick like molasses, so curious of FBZ's experience if it was used.
    thks, Jim

6. goodwilltoall

goodwilltoall Senior Member

Greetings,

If you buy water in the "foggy" plastic 1 gal. jugs the plastic leaching into the water is obvious in the taste so saying it's "FDA approved" still makes it highly suspect.

Think I mentioned before of a technique I plan to use for a 100 gal. water tank by lining with epoxy/fiberglass then while thumbprint hard laying preformed metal lathe against it, after it hardens applying 2 coats cement. You can even fill up water to give it a super strong cure.

This would add 135lbs which is insignificant compared to your health.

7. goodwilltoall

goodwilltoall Senior Member

Overall cement thickness would be 3/8". Water stored this way stays fresh for years.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.