Epoxy information source

Discussion in 'Materials' started by learningtheway, Aug 15, 2011.

1. learningtheway

learningtheway Junior Member

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to learn as much as I can about epoxies and the different types, like fast slow resin, the numbers on the various different ones and their meanings, yada yada yada, and was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction such as where i can learn about this stuff

thanks
    LTW

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

3. pauloman

pauloman Epoxy Vendor

4. learningtheway

learningtheway Junior Member

Thanks for your quick responses, just a question for you guys how thick should the epoxy be when bonding the frames? Is a filler/thickener necessary? if so what consistancy should i look for (ketchup, mayo, peanut butter)

thanks again
    LTW

5. Herman

Herman Senior Member

For bonding wood a ketchup consistancy usually is desired. Make sure the gaps are not too large, or the epoxy will drip out. If there are larger gaps, fill these with thicker material.

Basicly what you want is a good penetration of the wood, for bonding strength (so the epoxy needs to be thin), and the glue between the pieces of wood should be to thick that it does not run out (which means it should be thick).

In general the ketchup consistancy does both, especially when made with cotton fibres. (do not put much pressure on the bond, as you run the risk of pressing the fibers dry, impairing the bond). Epoxy basicly is not pressure sensitive. (temporary) screws, weights etc are just there to keep things in place, nothing more.

If you are not sure or need to fill large gaps (or need to create fillets) then do a 2-step system:
    -mix a batch of epoxy
    -wet out the bond lines
    -mix fillers (cotton fibres, fumed silica, or whatever) into the epoxy you have left.
    -use the mix to create the bond.

This way you have both well saturated wood, and the epoxy will not sag or drip out.

As for working time: buy what you need. For small jobs a fast curing epoxy is fine, but with larger jobs you wished you had more time.

1 person likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.