Epoxy/glass(carbon?)/foam prefab sheets

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Doug Lord, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

I did a search here and nothing turned up. Does anyone know of a manufacturer of lightweight epoxy glass/foam sheets-something like .25" foam sandwiched by two layers 6 oz glass or preferably one or two layers each side of 5.7oz carbon? The sheets would have to be made on an extremely smooth table(preferably window glass) so that one side was glossy and the otherside peel ply. I've googled and googled with no luck
    Help would be most appreciated!

Plascore has a min thickness of 1/2" so it won't make the bend I need and I'm not sure they have the gloss finish on one side....

2. groper

groper Senior Member

in australia there are quite a few that will sell this type of thing... im sure there would be many more in the USA, any composites manufacturer will be able to do it... but why not fabricate your own? it really is quite easy...

3. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

4. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Thanks Stumble-I've looked at Dragan plate but they are very expensive for just thin sheets.This foam/carbon stuff is exactly what I was looking for but the cost is completely unacceptable. I can't do it myself for a number of reasons but thanks.

5. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

There are a number of other places to buy it, just do a google search for carbon fiber sandwich panel. There are a lot of options in thickness and core materials, and prices.

6. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

=================
    It's amazing how Google opens up when you use the right language-thanks!

7. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

Glad I could help

8. tinhorn

tinhorn Senior Member

Not sure a sandwich, particularly a carbon sandwich, would bend much even if it was just 1/4". What kind of a curve are you making?

9. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

===========
    I think you're right-side for a 14' mono...

10. tinhorn

tinhorn Senior Member

If it's a simple curved panel, I'd build a curved mold from whiteboard (Abitibi) which would give you the shiny surface, and lay up the part properly. How big a component are we talkin' about?

11. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

=====
    Side for a 14' mono. Probably going to use Okume carboned with-possibly- a vinyl covering which I have been told can work real real. I'll test it before commiting and still haven ruled out the glossy carbon sheets glued to the side(during layup). Sanding the thing is to be avoided. I've worked with cored glass sheets for years and conceived of the idea of using sheet window glass back in the early 70's at Thomson Trawlers where many cabins were built one off using the sheets. I've used the thin carbon sheets on models and they work well on the right surface. Now, unforunately, I have to buy them pre-fab. Some people have used formica tables but the resulting surface doesn't compare with window glass.. Thanks for the help and suggestions....

12. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

But you are going to have to paint the exterior surface, so really slick exterior wouldn't be a good thing. You are going to have to sand it for ease of painting.

The big trick will be to get a good spray job on the finished hull, and a mirror smooth fibreglass hull doesnt provide a good grip for the sealer/undercoat.

13. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

================
    The carbon sheets made by Pro tech or Dragan require absolutely no finishing whatsoever(except, perhaps, at joints)-if you choose not to. Some- including me- like the appearance of the gloss carbon wave.
    Glass sheets like we built in the old days required no finishing ,again, except at joints.
    The point of using these sheets is to avoid most finishing.

14. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

I understand what you say, but even gloss carbon weave requires a clear anti-uv coating. That's something you will need to put on after.

Of course you can use things like gel-coat, but if you are after ultra-performance, you wouldn't want the weight, and bending gellcoated panels might be problematic, I would have thought, due to potential for hard spots and lack of sheet flexibility.

15. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

====================
    I'm not positive but I think either one or the other or both mentioned something about being made with UV "proof" resin. Good point and I'll check into it. No point in using anything like this that requires additional finishing...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.