Epoxy from China

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Jim beam, Jun 1, 2022.

1. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

2. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

Why don't you give a little something and link a tds?

3. Jim beam

Jim beam Junior Member

ok.

Attached Files:

4. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

5. Jim beam

Jim beam Junior Member

While I dont know all the in's and out's of interpreting a resin TDS, it seemed a bit slim to me as well.

The viscosity at 25c worry me - 10,000 to 14,000. For the Silvertip the viscosity @25c is 700

I may have to give this a miss. I dont know enough about epoxy to be trying this. If only I were in the US - then it would be easy - nice products there to select from. Here, not so much.

fallguy likes this.
  6. Rumars

Rumars Senior Member

7. Jim beam

Jim beam Junior Member

8. Scuff

Scuff Senior Member

9. Jim beam

Jim beam Junior Member

10. Rumars

Rumars Senior Member

The amt site is retail, including 15% VAT and using the biggest kit size they advertize for Ampreg 30 (6,3kg) I come to a price of ~17USD/kg. With a commercial account, without VAT and in the quantities you are talking about I would expect a price around 10USD/kg, wich is not bad for a brand epoxy.
    Their own stuff, LR 30, comes in at ~15USD/kg retail, so I expect 8-9USD/kg commercial.
    Shipping is another matter entirely, I can't comment on that.

11. Jim beam

Jim beam Junior Member

Hi Rumars,

Thanks for the input.

I agree with your logic and math. Unfortunately they dont ;-0

If they came in at the pricing you mentioned I would jump at it and not mess with shipping from China. The epoxy is China is $7.35 per Kg. I am getting pricing out of South Africa of around $13+ USD per kg. If I could get the LR30 at 8-9Kg I would buy 2000Kg so that I only have to ship once in the next 2 years (presuming2 year shelf life in correct storage conditions - which I would go out of my way to ensure). But the pricing I received from them indicates that buying a bigger amount was more expensive then smaller kits - go figure ! I really dont get how that works but thats what I have so far, hence looking at China. I have a container coming from China anyway so this was a chance to get the epoxy in as well. I am finding the Chinese difficult to work with - there must be an art to it i have not yet mustered.

12. Scuff

Scuff Senior Member

In that thread rob is getting the epoxy from Australia. Might be worth asking him about a contact there?

13. Rumars

Rumars Senior Member

Thanks for taking the time to explain. This is most peculiar behavior I have never even heard of before, usually everyone has better pricing for bulk then retail.
    Unfortunately I don't know any directly chinese epoxy brand, every "budget" option has a local business behind it to provide support.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.