Epoxy for Hull Repair

Discussion in 'Materials' started by JC47, Feb 6, 2006.

1. JC47

JC47 Junior Member

I am repairing major damage to a Stevens 47 sailboat. Orig hull is poly no core. Damage is mid beam to transom, from Deck-Hull joint to 2' below waterline.I calculate about 90 sqft of hull will be cut out and replaced. I was intending to use epoxy. One of the guys in yard suggested using poly because of the sise of the area be replaced and the new and old materials may expand and contract at different rates. I am aware that epoxy has less shrinkage at cure. The cost of epoxy is not a issue. What are your thoughts. JC

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Epoxy is by far stronger and the product of choice, if cost isn't a major concern. Yards familiar with poly may not want to fool with epoxy for lack of understanding or experience. Poly will do a good job of the repair (in their defense) as the boat is built out of this material, but epoxy is the better goo.

3. JC47

JC47 Junior Member

Thanks for the info.

JC

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.