epoxy filler+thickener?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by milfordadkins, Aug 31, 2013.

1. discovery

discovery Junior Member

Generally you get a better job, stronger , easier to fair the overlaps from multiple coats of a lighter cloth. The heavier cloth may take more epoxy as well.

I read up a lot on the subject, but the most learning i got was from multiple buying small lots and experimenting. If you were to spend $100 on some ply, epoxy, fillers and some tools, and muck around in the shed for a day or 2, what you read about in the books and online will "click" and you will be well on the way.

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Agreed, fairing up an 18 ounce rove will be tedious, use lots of filler and resin. Two layers of 10 ounce would be easier to fair and likely use less resin too.

Heavy fabrics are for heavy laminates, not sheathings. The sheathing on your hull is for waterproofing and mostly about abrasion resistance. A single layer of 8 - 10 ounce (270 - 340 GSM) will do this easily, with considerably less weight resin and fairing effort.

3. missinginaction

missinginaction Senior Member

I realize that this thread is a little old but wanted to comment on PAR's suggestion above.

I tried using just talc and q-cells to make up a fairing mix and to my pleasant surprise I was able to get a "almost" non-sagging mix without using any silica at all. Needed quite a bit more talc and q-cells but it did work. As the mix solidified I was able to use a gloved finger and a little rubbing alcohol to push a few spots back into position but all and all it came out fine. Easy sanding and smells good too.

Thanks Paul.

MIA

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.