Gellcoat Cracks

Discussion in 'Materials' started by COLD-EH', Aug 30, 2006.

1. COLD-EH'

COLD-EH' Junior Member

Hi, I would just like to confirm my suspisions that excessive gelcoat cracks is an indicator of hull condition. The bottom of this chopper gun boat looks good however major work was redone 15 years ago with Epoxy, Now the sides of the hull have vertical cracks through the Epoxy paint every 3" for the length of the hull. I figure it's probably time to scrap it. It had a tough life. :D

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Gelcoat does get brittle and crack, over time, but I certainly would be cautious if the cracks penetrate past the gelcoat or if they're big and everywhere (normally, one would expect to see this only at areas of very high stress concentration).

3. COLD-EH'

COLD-EH' Junior Member

Mostly beside drivers seat. cracks from gunnel to edge at hull bottom. 18" vertical cracks every three inches or so. At 10 years had 2 4' long openings in the lift strakes on that side. Poorly built boat but ground out laminated glass, replaced wood and epoxy repair. Boat is still stiffer than when new but that ain't saying much. Epoxied the top and bottom of the boat together so there won't be any fixing this time. I guess I'm just looking for an excuse to build a "Mastercraft" kind of ski/wakeboard boat.

4. van stoneman

van stoneman fiberglass shop manager

My Experience With Cracks In Gelcoat Is If The Repair Was Done With Epoxy Some Times It Will Be Too Rigid,fiber Glass Has To Have Flexible Strength. Most Cracks Or Shattered Glass Should Be Repaired With Fiberglass Then Gelcoated With A Max Of 18 To 25 Mls. Of Gelcoat. Any More And It Will Crack Again.alot Of Work.
    Depends If You Want To Do All Of That.

5. COLD-EH'

COLD-EH' Junior Member

The sides of the hull were not repaired so the gell coat is original with a coat of
    Endura paint on top.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.