epoxy barrier paint

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by cusoak, Feb 19, 2012.

1. cusoak

cusoak New Member

I now have the bottom of my plywood 14ft boat fiberglassed with west system 105 resin and 207 hardner. I want to put a coat or 2 of inetelux 2000e barrier epoxy on next. The west system has been allow to cure. How much sanding do I need to do and with what grit paper.
    When it is on I want to put on antifollowing paint. Whos would be good. And does any one know witch brand has a true Hunter dark green paint.
    Thanks Jeff

2. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

a tooth into epoxy , for primer, is typically 80 grit on a random orbital sander.

Normally "primer " is used to fill cosmetic blemishes in an epoxy surface. To my knowledge, primer has no effect as a barrier coat , it is only cosmetic .

. Epoxy , cleaned of blush , 80 grit preped is a good surface for bottom coating .

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Unless you're putting your 14' boat in the water for extended periods (a week or more at a time) then you don't need, nor is it desirable you use an anti-fouling bottom paint.

From a technical stand point, epoxy can be used as the base for most topcoats, but compatibility and other issues often rear up and bite your butt when attempting this, which is why all paint formulators recommend a primer under topcoats. I'd recommend a true epoxy primer and the minimum is 2 coats, but if you're smoothing the surface, then apply additional coats, because you'll sand half of it away, during these operations.

4. joseph sigley

joseph sigley Junior Member

go to j-s-composites.co.uk we can help

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

There is a really good product by seahawkpaints.com

6. pauloman

pauloman Epoxy Vendor

epoxy barrier coats are intended to stop or reduce osmatic blistering found in some fiberglass hulls. You say you have a wooden hull......

for more on barrier coat options and general info see
    www.epoxyproducts.com/barrier4u.html

7. tomherrick

tomherrick Junior Member

I agree, but am at a loss to know what type of finish works below the waterline except for gelcoat. I've not found any paint - except for bottom paint - that is recommended below the waterline. Besides gelcoat, does anyone have a recommendation?

8. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Any topside paint can be used below the waterline on a dry sailed boat. Again, if more then a few days of continuous immersion is desired, you'll need a true antifouling paint.

9. tomherrick

tomherrick Junior Member

That's what I have found. I'd like to take my normally trailered boat out for 2-4 weeks; that seems to rule out anything but gelcoat or bottom paint.

Thanks.

10. Herman

Herman Senior Member

Try and get an epoxy coating that is easily applied, and has a good water resistance (perhaps your barrier coat) and mix some pigments in, in the desired colour. This should be enough to protect your hull. It is not antifouling, but should not be a problem in 2-4 weeks.

Oh, we also have "antifollowing" paint, but that is applied on topsides, and is a radar-absorbent coating. (not transparent, unfortunately, otherwise I would paint my car with it...) :):)

11. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Yah, wont mind getting my hands on some of that new Anti Following paint myself.

Awlgriped a wheelhouse roof last week. Look'n good. Sped off for a coffee break and when I returned a whole gang of mosquitoes wearing size 42 seaboots were line dancing on the fresh wheelhouse Grip..............................some kinda anti following paint is needed.

12. pauloman

pauloman Epoxy Vendor

my fiberglass sailboat (and many rowboats of wood or glass) spends weeks at anchor with just plain enamel paint on them.

epoxies are not UV stable and will yellow in sunlight. Also cured epoxy is so inert it seems to encourage marine growth more than other finishes.

paul oman - progressive epoxy polymers inc.

13. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

Cusoak,

I put six coats of 2000e on my glas/ply houseboat. You need five or six coats to get the required thickness for efficacy. It is very hard and, if done properly, should not require any sanding!

I think it completely overkill unless you got it for free (as I did, fortunately).

-Tom