epoxy and glass over wood

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by smokinone8, Mar 2, 2009.

1. teakcell

teakcell Junior Member

I slice teak veneer and other species + manufacture epoxy cold molded products for a few years. When it comes to making a hull, I would never imagine saving on glass cloth but I would rather save on buying a cheaper epoxy (eg: good quality unknown brand one but not west system), and cheaper wood specie...again, this is if I had no other option as dropping down the costs...

2. smokinone8

smokinone8 Junior Member

that's sounds like a better idea . i will look into that aption .

thanks

life begins where land ends

3. apex1

apex1 Guest

Do so, teakcell knows, what he talks about, they do´nt have too many choices in Myanmar.

4. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

Glass is said to increase the cantilever strength of ply by 2x or 3x, and the designer will have taken that into account when specifying the ply thickness.

It may be OK to leave off the glass if you use thicker ply, but as Paul says it's probably false economy except in very small boats. However, I don't think it should be used for sealing, the boat should be watertight to start with.

I admit I didn't use it myself, but only because my boat is light enough that I can carefully carry it and put it into the water, and it is not fast so it doesn't hit rocks hard.

Remember that epoxy deteriorates in sunlight and must be protected by UV resistant paint or varnish.