Enrolled on YDS course

Discussion in 'Education' started by Damian, Jun 14, 2002.

1. Damian

Damian Junior Member

I have enrolled on the YDS course. Looks like there is a few of us here. Maybe we can give some much needed info the the forum, it seems that nonbody relly knows much about the course yet.:confused:

2. duluthboats

duluthboats Senior Dreamer

Sheeeeess! I might have to enroll just to keep up with this group.
    Good luck with your studies Damian.
    Gary

3. qadeer

qadeer Junior Member

YSD

Just enrolled yesterday like i said in my other post. Will probably get the lessons next week. Pretty excited about the whole thing, can't wait to begin it. Should be fun.

4. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

Neat - I hope you all report back on how your experience is going along the way. And maybe you'll let us post one of your projects too :)

5. cgorricho

cgorricho New Member

YDS

And another YDS student jumps onboard of the yacht design world.... Gorricho, Yacht Designer, Class of 2006. Did you notice how Gorricho sounds a lot like Herreshoff :))

Jeff, thanks for transfering my posting to this forum, it was really useful and helped me find the YDS option, which I think fits more my goals and expectations.

I see that the first postings in this thread are from June, and was wondering how Damian or qadeer are doing today with their lessons.

I will definately let you know of my progress and share ideas. Being a Civil Engineer by education, I think I will lean towards numerical solutions and things like that, but I am also thrilled to engage on the "artistic" part of the design as well.

Buena vela y buena mar,

CARLOS A.

6. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

LOL
    Funny - I enrolled with Westlawn 'cause Allison sounds so similar to "Fexas" !:D

7. Robbi

Robbi Junior Member

Hi!

Just enrolled on the YDS course and I'm looking forward to get the material home.

From where have you bought the books that are needed?

Robbi

8. ErikG

ErikG Senior Member

There are a number of scoursces on the internet. I've used Amazon and it's affiliate used books program (if that what its calld, can't remember)
    So far I've been ok. Most books are pretty expensive though. You'll end up paying more for the books than the course itself.

Erik

9. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

< insert shamless plug >

If you do order new books from Amazon, if you would click this link to Amazon first (or any of the direct links to books from our site) we always really appreciate it - you pay the same price as always at Amazon but they give us (boatdesign.net) a 5% commission on any new books you order and we can use that money to help pay for new software, hardware, and bandwidth to keep our site growing.

-- saving up to get a second server for boatdesign.net

10. cgorricho

cgorricho New Member

YDS books

Indeed the cost of books can be significant. I am undecided to buy them as suggested by Tom or buy "substitutes" that are more affordable. Sure, classics are classics but tight budgets don't offer much flexibility. I also found some of the suggested books in the Public Library.

I received my first lesson. Some new concepts and interesting topics. The test questions, appart from the math ones that were good to refresh my numbers, really scared me: "draw the middle section of a deep keel boat with hollow gareboards...." :?:

well, let's see, what are hollow gareboards, what is deep keel, what is middle section (I think I know) and what is draw :D !!!!! To be fair, Tom clarifies that his intention is not to scare you away but to know were in the learning curve you are...what about, at the very beginning? ;) I think I better get those books quick!

Cheers,

11. Guest

Guest Guest

Books

I recently signed up for Westlawn and am awaiting receipt of the material in the next week. Even though there are no book requirements for their course I have been in the process for the last year of picking up recommended classics from a variety of lists. For outright purchase of used books try WWW.ABEBOOKS.COM , WWW.ALIBRIS.COM and the half-price associate of amazon. I would also recommend keeping a close watch on ebay. If you have the time to wait and know what you are looking for you can very often pick up what you need for significantly cheaper (sometimes not, but you have to know when to walk away). I have had great luck picking up the Chaplle books, some of the Herreshoff books as well as many of the design collection/review books (Garden, Alden, etc.)

Hope this is of some value, and I am still waiting to hear how things are going for those of your enrolled in YDS>

Puget-Sailor

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.