Late Night Runs

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by TripleCrownNC, May 23, 2008.

1. TripleCrownNC

TripleCrownNC Junior Member

I am rolling and tipping awlgrip top coat. I am getting runs well after I finish. Watch for an hour, no runs. Go to bed and have a couple of runs in the moring. I am reducing very little, about 10%. Should I go lower to thicken it up or higher to flash off and have a thinner coat?

Would a hair dryer help set it? Thanks.

2. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

no a hair dryer wont help ya, unless its still cold dere,,,when you snail awl grip, it will flow for about a month,,NO ****. you can have a few light brush strokes the day after you snail it,,,and 2 weeks later they'll disappear.maybe to thick? what grit did ya sand ya primer with?,,,and after this weekend kaptjer will probably be round, and i'd ask him,, or landlubber,,i dont know of others who snail.. hehe ;)

3. TripleCrownNC

Where you been?? I tried thinnen a little more tonight and it seems to help. Could be a different brush tho, maybe not hold as much paint???No **** on the flowen forever. Watching like a hawk for over an hour, ok, few runs in the morning. I think this wraps up everything I could remove from the boat, maybe prime the boat Monday.

You hear tell of anyone compouding Awlrip? Heard conflicting stories. The white I am usin is cloud white, very shiny.

4. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

im pretty sure kapt. said ya could thin it ta 30% even though it says no-no,,,look at his posts,,im sure its there a few hundred times,,hehe,,,and ya ive seen people buff awl,,,,ive done it when i do small paint repairs,,,BUT, awl says not to because it actually takes the strongest part of the paint away,,,leaves ya with basically latex after,,hehe,,so THEY say,,,I say,,its fine as long as you dont over do it,,but there shouldnt be any reason to do it to a NEW paint job,,,,hehe ;),,,i probably didnt even answer ya question,,,,,been a hard mornin,,hehe ;),, i'll check later to see what i said,,hehe ;)

5. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

Thanks Jim for trying to hold up my end while I was out of commission for a while.

You are getting runs because the paint is too thick, many thin coats. This is not like using house paint. If you try to cover too thick it will run. You should be at 20-25% for Cloud white in this heat. When you apply the paint with the 4" foam roller you should see lots of air bubbles. Roll about 8" only then LIGHTLY tip out the bubbles. You should roll and tip in the same direction, down. You will not see full color until the 3rd or 4th coat.
    All the runs have to be sanded out before you can re cover.

6. TripleCrownNC

Alright, last night I was at about 20% and it looks better. So roll and tip up and down on a vertical surface, not side to side. I was just tryin that too!

I went with less reducer trying to make it not want to run, course its the wrong way!

Believe me, I am aquanted with my sander! Tx

7. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

You'll do fine. The first 3 coats are for body anyway;) You only need the last one to come out good.

8. buckknekkid

buckknekkid Senior Member

what is the minimum temp at night and the possibilty of going over old polyurethane without priming:?:

9. TripleCrownNC

I think Awlgrip is not supposed to be applied if it is going to be cooler then 55 deg. You can go to Awlgrip.com and check out the application guide.

I learned that you cannot use a rag with a little reducer to snag a run or it will show as a dull spot. Ugh. Going to have to do the thing again.

10. TripleCrownNC

I am very frustrated with this painting by hand. I was trying to get a final coat on my console. I reduced about 25%. I used a brush only. I chased runs all night. I began to figure that the paint was loosing the reducer in just minutes. When that happens the paint is too thick and no matter what you do it will run. when I added more reducer I cold get a decent area done with much lower chance of running, and if it did I could fight it off. Once the apint is too thick its a never ending loosing battle. I stayed at this for SIX hours, until 1:45 AM. This sucks.

Lastly I was about out of paint and was adding straight reducer to the contianer with the brush and re wetting entire sides that way. Basically 95%brush over with reducer. For the most part those sections look nice this morning.

Woke up to 2 runs this morning.

This is a complex piece with many changes in slope, flat surfaces and vertical surfaces. I am very frustrated and just about wish I never started this.

11. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

55f for night,,but the closer to 55f ya get, the longer till it kicks,,,,,and NO,,ya need to use 545 primer on ya old poly.

12. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

I am very frustrated and just about wish I never started this.

You are getting frustrated because you are compounding your mistakes. I have only met one person who could apply Awl grip without rolling the paint on first. I can't do it and I have been tipping for about 4 years. The roller governs the amount of paint being applied which stops the runs, if you were using the 4" foam hot dog it will get into all the places you might have on deck. I think you proved to yourself that you were putting on too much paint at one time. The mix should be like water. I have also said MANY times you never go back. Once you tip an area you never touch it again. Every time you go back you screw up the paint, because it has already begun to set in only a few seconds after tipping. There can't be any "fighting", because you go around the same each time. It is actually very quick and easy, but you have to follow the rules. I can see by what you have been saying that you really haven't been.
    Take a deep breath say Ommmmmmmm. and try it again. We will pray to the paint gods for you.

1 person likes this.
  13. TripleCrownNC

Kapt,

Please provide exact details on the hot dog so I can go get them.

I am sure this will help. I was going to roll but since I had used the roller (not the cover) before I discovered it was shedding so I bailed on it.

Still does not solve the issue of the reducer leaving the paint as I use it. I think a plan for adding more per unit time should be in place, agree?

Lets not forget we thought my epoxy covers could have been shedding so I have been leary of them.

Do you leave your tipping brush in reducer between tippings?

14. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

You can pick up the rollers at any Home depot, This is a link to Jamestown Distrip. just so you can see what I'm talking about. http://www.jamestowndistributors.co...8&familyName=Mighty Mini 4 Inch Foam Rollers. They only last about 20 min. then you have to replace them on the fly. I always had one in my pocket.
    The reducer will "leave the paint". You should be working fairly quickly, that helps, but on a 38' sail boat I would add reducer about 2 times. I can go around a 26' sailboat without adding any more then the initial mix. Just to show you that it does work..
    A 27' sail in cloud white, and a 38' with both cloud white and flag blue.

Attached Files:

15. TripleCrownNC

I bought some from HD today, Ultra fine foam roller, white. Do they start shedding after 15 min? I have the yellow epoxy covers from jamestown (what I go orginally), they are the normal diameter ones. I bought new rollers today for those too so no shedding old paint.

Do you leave your tipping brush in reducer between tips?