Engineering Flex Concrete Sven Yrvind 4 meters

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by jack321, Aug 4, 2008.

1. jack321

jack321 New Member

I need list engineers help for new flexible concrete boat design .

First of all , you have to visit sailor Sven Yrvind website and look his narrow canoe shaped boats.

I have his 4.3 meters long Sven Yrvind boat drawings and I want to build it.

But
    1- I have no money for fiberglass. I can buy raw materials for preparing small amounts of new flexible concrete.

2- I have to post the hull by cargo to seaside. And I have no place to build the big hull.I have to build the hull section by section , pack them one section in another and finally screw them together like a war airplane at the seaside from thick cross sections and epoxy.
    I am thinking to cover the sections meeting borders with epoxy and glass fiber. Epoxy sticks to concrete.

I can make a hull blindly but I dont want to be a fool.
    What might be the engineering values of the material and the thickness for a storm.

Best ,
    Jack

2. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Oh dear. I dont think this will make a successfull project.
    Sections of concrete will not make a satisfactory sort of boat.

You can do it with other materials, but not concrete. Plywood would be the cheapest way to do a project like that.

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Successful concrete hulls have been built, but they require a continuous "pour". A sectioned concept is possible in many materials, including concrete, but frankly, the weight of the boat will double to accommodate the flanges and other attachment dependant reinforcements.

This is why you hire a designer. They can sort out these details and engineer a way around your particular issues. Taking a guess at scantlings for a material as delicate as concrete, is pure folly. Employ a professional.