engine working hours

Discussion in 'Diesel Engines' started by urisvan, Aug 29, 2012.

1. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

The simplest concept on engine life is fuel burn.

The engine will go thru a certain amount of fuel, and then need a rebuild.

At 20GPH it will last half the hours of a 10GPH fuel use rate.

2. jonr

jonr Senior Member

Although there are major exceptions for things like very low loads (cold engine, little ring pressure) and running rich (very bad for a diesel), I agree with fuel burn as a rough approximation.

3. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

This really reminds me when I was a kid..an old family friend,had worked on Detroits all his life,from WW2 up to the late 80's,and casually in his garage in retirement for extra cash.

Another friend of my family, had a new boat with a turbo'd up Detroit putting out high horsepower and wanted some maintenance-so John did it-once.
    Wanted nothing to do with those engines.

The owner ran it hard-within recommended use- and I remember John " how much hp is this putting out?"
    Getting an answer,thinking a second and then saying something like " 550 hours..then she'll blow"

At 500 hours it was done for...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.