40" jackshaft on twin sterndrives

Discussion in 'Sterndrives' started by cudashark, Aug 19, 2007.

1. cudashark

cudashark Senior Member

Hello Fourm,

I am building a 33' cold molded runabout. To achieve the optimum weight I need to jackshaft the stern drives about 40".

I have been hearing rumors at the boatyard that "jackshafts" cause excessive vibrations.

So far no one can tell me of this who has had direct experience with jackshafts.

Please if anyone out their in the big cybersea has had experience on this issue PLEASE respond.

Thanks

Ray

2. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

Jackshaft don't cause problems. Improper installations cause vibrations. Can you describe setup better.

3. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

mydauphin is correct why should it vibrate? A car has a prop shaft thats up to 6 feet!! it does'nt vibrate even with a flexible engine and the axle able to go up and down a foot. Its all in the installation.

4. cudashark

cudashark Senior Member

Thanks for your reply mydaupin and Frosty.

Your setiments are mine exactly. I have been told that if the angle is more than 6 degrees then their will more than likley be vibrations.

I have a hard time believing the rumers.

Thanks again...

Ray

5. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

I am updating my boat presently from one-piece solid shafts to thrust-bearing with a jackshaft to cut down on alignment, noise and vibration issues. All my friend that are boat mechanics told me jackshaft system was going to be a problem same as you. But truth is it easier because alignment is less critical. That said the less angle the better, also make sure that your torque ratings for jackshafts are up to spec. I have a couple of jackshaft from trs drives, but I dont know who sells new ones. I will be installing a python-drive on mine. My cousin is distributor and getting me a break.

6. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

You must use 2 universal joints and make sure the yokes are opposing and not aligned. Put the UJ's at each end and incorperate a spline.

Have the shfts made professionaly on a lathe. I have balanced them myself with jubilee clips or 2 sometimes by trial and error.

I dont like CV joints for transmitting torque constantly in the same position. UJ's will be stronger and last, come in all sizes and are cheaper.

7. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Greater angles, speed, and length exaggerate imbalance. The reason for the aforementioned U-joints at each end of the shaft is that all such shafts accellerate and decellerate during each revolution. The speed variation is caused by the first U-joint's geometry. The correction for the accelleration and decelleration is done by the second U-joint. Hence the angles to input and output at each end should be as nearly the same as possible.

Alan

8. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

9. cudashark

cudashark Senior Member

That is just what the Dr. Ordered Pericles.

Thanks again for your advice..I'm contacting them in the morning.

Ray

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.