Engine will not start

Discussion in 'Sterndrives' started by chef2b86545, Aug 16, 2007.

1. chef2b86545

chef2b86545 Junior Member

I have a 1988 Four Winns Freedom with a 4 cylinder 3 L OMC Cobra Sterndrive engine. The problem that i am having is that it will turn over but it will not fire. I have tryed puting fuel in the carbirator and changed all 4 plugs. Does anyone have any other suggestions on what to try to get my boat to fire.

2. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Have you held a spark plug lead close to the block to see if you have spark?

She may be flooded also. Let sit several hours & try again after making sure there is spark.

Hope you figure things out.

Tim

3. J DUFOUR

J DUFOUR archimanadesigner++

hi ,

did you try to check if there is a "flash" at your plugs when you turn on the engine ?

Is your fuel is not too old ?

Have you a security to turn off the electricity with your key ?

sincerely

4. chef2b86545

I have used a tester that hocks up to the starter coil and it came back that it was not getting spark. Where should I go from here? I will try adding some fresh gas because it is last years but there is only about a 1/4 tank.

5. J DUFOUR

J DUFOUR archimanadesigner++

hi,

first : gaz is really too old to have a good spark, so first , put new gaz inside before trying others things
    second : does the engine "turn" clearely (I mean fast ) when turn the key to start ? if not , change or put in charge the battery because if there isn't enough electricity ( 12.5v and check the Ah given to start) , the starter system doesn't work and the sparks are not powerfull enought .The simplyest way is to check that with the battery of your car.

third : try with "startpilot" or WD40 inside the AIR FILTER and start just after,

fourth point : check the fuses on the electrique board of the boat.

give some news !

it's a interresting experience to repair an engine at 7000 km for you .

6. Titanic

Titanic Junior Member

No Spark

I have this same engine. You say that it has last years fuel, so I assume you have not started the engine since last year. I don't know exactly why, because I have my boat in inside storage. Almost every year at the begining of the season the engine has no spark. I pull the points and file them, reinstall, and regap them and presto the engine starts right up. Of course you can also put new points in. But what little hours you normally get on the points in a year I just file mine.

7. chef2b86545

How do i file them and what do i gap them at? And yes the battery has full power. And i will add more gas.

8. alan white

alan white Senior Member

If you file them, you will have to keep filing them. Replace them, and they should last for years.
    But if you must file them, I have had success wrapping a strip of 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper over something thin and, while pressuring the points together with fingers of one hand, sanding the surfaces with the other hand.
    Afterwards, clean the sanding dust with a q-tip/alcohol, etc.,
    Gap the points to specs and start your engine.
    Gap them at .025 in. if no specs are available.

Alan

9. Titanic

Titanic Junior Member

Sorry, I have been out of town, or I would have answered sooner. It would seem you have never replaced the points, so I agree with Alan White, and I would replace them. As for filing them I usually remove them and use a regular file that is used on metal. I have also used a fingernail file that looks like a popscicle stick coated with sandpaper. The metal is tough so I like the metal file. As for the gap setting on the 3.0 liter 4 cyl. it is .016 to .019.

10. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

If your constantly needing to clean your points you should change the condensor.

11. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Yes, and the standard practice is to change the condensor every time you change the points. Filing points is one of those stop-gap get-going kind of things. I've done it when I absolutely had to get going, but followed up by replacing the points soon thereafter. They don't seem to last as long once resurfaced.

Alan

12. operatetheboat

operatetheboat New Member

points and condenser

Couple of things you say the battery is good ... check the coil .... make sure they are plugged in good ... the the distrubitor cap... clean each point .. check the rotor, I would replace it if its been on the boat for some time... replace the points and condenser re-gap them at .016-.019 .... Turn switch on and move the rotor cap back and forth to see if you get a spark ... it should be strong blue ... if thats good put her back together and she should fire off... good luck

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.