Help with replacing my 318 with a 350...

Discussion in 'Inboards' started by ChrisD, Jul 5, 2012.

1. ChrisD

ChrisD New Member

Hey everyone, I am new to the forum and to marine engines. I am an aircraft mechanic and have changed and rebuilt tons of airplane engines but I have never worked on a boat or a car! :confused:
    How rough a job is it to convert from a 318 to a 350? I blew my engine striper fishing and have not been able to find a good 318 replacement. I did however get a nice deal on a 350 so I am going with that.

I want to start pulling my 318 ASAP but having never done this before I was hoping someone had a step by step guide they could post for me.

Side Note: I have the new bell housing, harness, and mounts for the 350. I also have an experienced mechanic that is going to help me drop in the new engine but I am on my own for removing the old one and prepping the area for the new one.

Any help would be great. Thanks! :)

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Buy the manual for the engine/drive you have and follow the step by step for an engine R&R.

You'll have some odds and ends to sort out, but you shouldn't have much difficulty with your experience. I mean after all, it still has prop on it, right . . .

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Did you get a marinized 350?

4. ChrisD

ChrisD New Member

That was not as bad as I thought it would be. Its ready to come out (took about an hour once I started to spin wrenches on it), just waiting on new engine and the hoist.

I am putting in a Chevy 350 marine engine that is actually written up as a remanu. heavy truck engine for marine use. Another new one to me but that's what it says in the owners manual. Has anyone ever heard of that?

As I said previously, I have the new bell housing, new engine mounts, engine harness, and a new tach. Everything else should be compatible as far as I know. Does anyone have any advice or tips?

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Exhaust manifolds, elbows and risers, raw water pump bracket, assorted plumbing bits, throttle and other assorted cable end issues, alternator and other accessory drive bracket, etc., etc., etc.

You've made engine swaps before, it's the same deal here, just boat related. Check the part numbers on the alternator and starter with this reman 350, to insure they're marine rated. Ditto the carb if it has one, as these pieces need to be marine or she can make a really loud boom underway, often taking skipper and crew with it.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.