Engine too hot

Discussion in 'Gas Engines' started by seagums, Jul 25, 2006.

1. seagums

seagums Junior Member

Hi, If anyone else can help it would be nice

Have two engines about 250 hrs on them, one runs fine the other runs hot. THe engine gets hot after 45 min of running at crusing speed, then it starts to lose power and oil pressure drops a bit(one noch down, not in critcal zone). Had both water pumps changed before the problem arrived. I have noticed that the problem engine also takes more fuel then the other engine. Oil level is fine, what should I be checking?

2. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

What engines , what drives, what boat?

3. seagums

seagums Junior Member

2 mercruiser 5.0l engines , sterndrives, Silverton 1993 convertable 31 ft. I don't know if its alpha or bravo drive. My guess is problems with fresh water cooling or high fuel comsumption/timing.

4. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

What do you mean by hot,? a tad warm or needle right up to its stop? How do you know its loosing power? The oil pressure problem will go away when the temp is correct.

How long have you had the boat. I am thinking that the engine is working harder than the other, this could be by the props not being the same, or some one has changed the leg for the wrong ratio.

5. seagums

seagums Junior Member

The temp is up by 2 marks from normal, but not in the danger zone.(still drivable). You feel the power lost and you can also hear it from the exhaust that it sounds different at cruising speed, Idle can;t tell the difference. I have a syncro gauge. Its not automatic, I have to syncro them myself when crusing. HAd the boat for about 5 years, no major work on engine and no prop change. I checked the props and they are clean with no damage.

6. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Check for blockage: power steering cooler, oil cooler, thermostat housing, exhaust manifolds, risers.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.