engine swap

Discussion in 'Inboards' started by joeyt11, May 27, 2006.

1. joeyt11

joeyt11 New Member

hello, i have just gotten a 1989 sunbird corsica 195--with a cracked block-its a 4.3l cobra engine.i got it for free so i am not complaining -just looking for some help.I would like to put a blazer 4.3 from the years of 1988 -1992 and use only the block/pistons and replace the heads and such using my motor.is this do able? i have yet to do a boat engine swap-i have done older cars but not a boat-can i just bolt on my heads and intake or will a car block and pistons cause a problem-i dont see why but that is why i am asking-i am not sure.thanks in advance for any help.
    joe

2. Jango

Jango Senior Enthusiast

You should have no problem at all. It's good you're using a Truck short block - beefier pistons and rods. Just be sure you use marine Head and Intake gaskets because of increased corrosion resistance.

3. joeyt11

joeyt11 New Member

thanks,
    can you tell me if i need to swap the cam and crank out of my block or can i use the s-10?
    thanks

4. Jango

Jango Senior Enthusiast

Unless your S-10 crank is not usable, I would use the complete truck assembly, since it would retain the factory balance and is supposed to be identical to the marine equivalent. The truck cam is also supposed to be very close, if not the same as the marine unit. If you choose to switch the cam, be sure to also change the lifters, either using new lifters or using the matching lifters used on their respective lobes. Mixing lifters could mean very early cam failure.

5. stonebreaker

stonebreaker Senior Member

I would do a little R&R on the valvetrain as long as you're going to have the motor out anyway - new lifters and valve springs, at least, and replace the stock timing chain, too.

I'd stick with the marine fuel system. The s-10 throttle body injection unit has a rather poor reliability record.

The longblocks, on the other hand, are extremely stout. The 4.3 was the basis for the Syclone and Typhoon turbocharged trucks, and stock engines with re-programmed computers and bigger fuel injectors routinely run 12's at the track.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.