engine swap on '04 sea ray 185 sport

Discussion in 'Gas Engines' started by majmacv, Mar 5, 2007.

1. majmacv

majmacv New Member

Im looking for input regarding my desire to replace a 4.3L v6 with a 420 HP small block chevy in my '04 Sea Ray 185 Sport. my questions are:

1. Will it fit (I have the optional sport interior with the rear bench seat, and there seems to be alot of room)

2. what changes to the outdrive will i need to make (Alpha I) to handle the extra power (stronger bearings, different ratios, etc.)

3. Is this boat even safe to operate at 65+ MPH? (i.e. is the overal hull design desiged for these speeds)

can i modify the transom to accomodate thru-hull exhaust?

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Andrew

2. mtnrat

mtnrat Junior Member

I would post this under the sterndrive section, you may get a few opinions there.
    I am always one for more power But,
    1. dont know
    2. don't know
    3. That is a pile of power for that boat. I would think things may get a little squirrelly at those speeds.

3. Jango

Jango Senior Enthusiast

Your 4.3 is nothing more than 3/4 of a chevy Sm Blk. The V8 will be approx 4 1/2" longer, same width with stock exhaust manifolds.

In order to get that kind of power from a small block,a High output Cam is required which results in max HP developed at Higher RPM, probably 6000 +. If the WOT engine speed is 6000+ , gear ratio need not be changed. Probably OK as is, however longevity will probably be less depending on how much the Boat is run wide open.

Depending on water conditions, 65 MPH shouldn,t be a problem

4. Zackman

Zackman Junior Member

Andrew, I believe the 4.3 was the largest engine offered in that boat. With the alpha drive you are limited to 300 Hp. The drive is limited in speed also, I believe 60 - 65 mph. With that drive, the 350 Mag (300 Hp) would be the biggest you could connect to the Alpha. I would save your money, and get the boat you really want and sell that SR to someone it would better suit.

5. majmacv

majmacv New Member

Thanks for the info!

Andrew

6. RMSOSF

RMSOSF Junior Member

420 HP small block???? alot of power for a mouse.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.