Engine swap - newbie here

Discussion in 'Sterndrives' started by rich richer, May 13, 2009.

1. rich richer

rich richer New Member

After 22 years my 1987 2.5 ltr 120 hp merc seized. I've located a 3.0 ltr 140 hp merc same year fresh rebuild lightly used. Can I move the throttle controls, electrics and outdrive controls from the old engine and bolt the new one up to the existing Alpha One drive without issues or will I have problems?

Thanks!

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Hi 'rich', welcome aboard :)

I can't say for sure whether this engine would be a drop-in replacement; I don't have first-hand experience with it. However, I have no reason to expect that it wouldn't be. There are a few folks on here who do work on older Mercs and might be able to chime in.

It's worth noting that you're talking about a 22-year-old Alpha here. They aren't exactly a top-of-the-line drive. There's a good chance that it's starting to wear out at this age, or maybe develop some internal corrosion. So before you go drop in a rebuilt engine, it might be worthwhile to give the drive a thorough inspection. If it turns out you'd have to replace the drive in a couple of years anyway, you might find it cheaper to find an engine/drive package and do the whole job at once.

3. rich richer

rich richer New Member

Thanks for the quick input. The same guy who has the engine also has an outdrive. Sounds like it may pay to get it as a spare.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.