Engine Stringers - Design and Compostion

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by ChrisN67, Dec 27, 2009.

1. Herman

Herman Senior Member

Looking good, well done!

2. ChrisN67

ChrisN67 Senior Member

Thank you Herman.

3. GG

GG offshore artie

its all good .

4. ChrisN67

ChrisN67 Senior Member

Point well taken, I agree that just because it looks ok and passes some engineering "rule of thumb" learned long ago, that does not imply it was an ocean-bound thumb.

I actually have more recpect for proper planning and engineering than I let on. I do not think one or ten passes of any book will suffice (there will always be something missed in the absence of a fully comprehensive understanding) I brought a boatbuiulder to Kuwait to do the initial structural work (core and transom) He left with a stringer lamination schedule on the dry erase board.

It was designed for a "100 Knt hull". Not sure what that means But I can tell you that after all the stagger laminations om the inboard stringers were complete it is bullet proof. For the engines to " punch through" They have to go through a set of epoxy stringers with 14 total lams, a 6' x 3" x 3/4" tapping plate then the hull bottom, which at the keel, is about 16 lams of alternating +-45 and 0/90 then Airex R63 then 8 layers +-45 and 0/90 then the original skin.

The hull bottom was checked for geometry and faired. I do not want to use antifouling so I opted for 8 coats of AWL grip over 6 coats of Interprotect and 545 primer.

Although technically Awlgrip is not designed for below the waterline due the to the effect of UV inhibitors in the crosslinking of epoxy (and other additives), if enough layers are applied and overcoat times are respected, it will give enough protection for 30 days soires. (Hopefully)

In the end; I enjoy working and it and learning. I am lucky enough to have the resources.

Thank you all for the input. Gonzo / Marsh, your points are well taken.

1 person likes this.
  5. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Glad to hear you've got it figured out, Chris :) Happy boating!

6. ChrisN67

ChrisN67 Senior Member

Attached Files:

7. ChrisN67

ChrisN67 Senior Member