Wake Distribution

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by Arviya, Nov 20, 2014.

1. Arviya

Arviya New Member

Hey,
    I was studying about wake distribution and I would like to know how to get nominal wake distribution for axial and tangential velocities from the DTMB model (Ref. PNA)

2. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

3. Arviya

Arviya New Member

Thank you for your reply,
    So you mean to tell that I follow the theory and end up with Nominal numbers?

4. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

Which theory? Defining the wake or defining the propeller?

In order to design a wake adapted propeller you must form some idea of the wake to design for. Because the instantaneous wake is ever changing due to the environment, ship response, and even the propeller action, you must use some "nominal" wake to enter the blade design process with in order to maximize thrust and minimize vibration over the rotation cycle. Even a wake measured with a rake is subject to variation and recursive CFD opens the whole "self licking ice cream cone' issue. So, armed with the wake data you have, you have to determine a "nominal" wake that you feels best fits the design goals of the ship and propulsion plant. There are no hard and fast rules because different hull forms will require different treatment. FWIW, for a typical displacement ship, I would use a radial distribution of the annular mean wake offset by 1-2 RMS sigma to the conservative (either torque, SHP, or blade loading) side.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.