Engine Replacement

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by Dustin, May 19, 2006.

1. Dustin

Dustin New Member

Hey everybody new here, have curious on some opinions... I have an '03 maxum 19ft with a 5.0 305 i/o motor. Block is cracked so I will be pulling it out this summer. I am going to sell it as is (its repairable). I found a 5.7 350 i am going to put in. What kind of project am I looking at? I'm pretty knowledgeable of motors, is this project going to be harder than it looks?

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Are you replacing it with a marinized 5.7?

3. Dustin

Dustin New Member

Yeah I am replacing mercruiser for mercruiser. I have some friends who are trying to convince me into a 350mag from a chev truck but don't think thats a good idea. The drive is fine and will fit both motors with no conversion kit.

4. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Swapping Merc for Merc shouldn't pose too many issues. (Chev for Merc would be a LOT harder). Make sure the mounts are compatible before you start, and make new ones if they aren't.
    The 5.7 adds a fair bit more power and weight, and that weight is concentrated in the stern. You might find the boat takes a bow-high attitude when on a slow plane, in which case adding trim tabs (or upgrading current ones) would be a good idea.
    I hope the drive is a Bravo. The 5.0 is occasionally seen with an Alpha, a smaller drive which is readily torn to shreds by a 5.7.

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The 5.0 and 5.7 weigh the same. The difference is only on the bores. They both use 1.50:1 gear ratio. You may have to increase the pitch on the prop to keep it from over-revving. Everything fits the same: accesories, motor mounts, exhausts, etc.

6. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Oops- my bad again. Gonzo's right. Need to clean up the desk ;) mixed up data for a 7.4 in there somehow. Now where's that hydro bill....lol

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.