Engine progress and price control

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by cyclops, Jun 12, 2005.

1. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

"50's thru 70's are still being rebuilt and being raced at power levels of up to 500%."

And usefull service life reduced to seconds! (Dragsters)

Unfortunatly slow rpm and lower loads (bigger engine) weigh more than a flyweight screamer .

AS mechanics are expensive , its usually very cheap to just toss the "non rebuildable" auto stuff. Get a catalog from the local dealer and you will see a fine (Rebuildable)350 chevy engine long block for $1700 , cheaper when on sale.

Most cant tear down the engine , have the machining done , and reassemble with new factory parts for that price.

The engines with replaceable liners can be field overhauled many times before removal and a machine shop is needed , but that isnt a light design.

Its simplest when the owner has a realistic view of the vessels intended use.

A 350 chebby (or Volvo auto transplant throwaway) to tow water skiers , why not?

To tow a trawl in the sea 300 days a year , a very different choice might be more rational.

FAST FRED

2. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

Variety was a wonderful part of boating at one time. Now and into the future you will have a selection of 1 approved mass produced design that looks and handles like everyone elses.--------- " I would love to go out on your boat which is exactly the same as mine to feel the difference."------------- Fortunatly, I am 67 and will not have to live in a boating world like that.---------------------- I am totally in favor of anything that can keep alive the boats of each generation and as a result keep the interest of that generation at a high level in boating. I totally enjoy any types of vintage boat shows. Sail, power, offshore or navies of the world.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2005
  3. Corpus Skipper

Corpus Skipper Hopeless Boataholic

As long as goofballs like me still exist, your wish will come true. I currently have a 1980 Chris Craft, 1977 Aquasport, and a 1965 Starcraft, all being restored, customized slightly, and powerplants rebuilt/ replaced any way I can on a shoestring budget. And there's about 10 more boats I'd like to redo that I haven't aquired yet. NEXT..... :D

4. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

Older and younger woman do not need me anymore. But all boats do.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.