diesel repower

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by bertram28, Jun 5, 2005.

1. bertram28

bertram28 New Member

I ve just purchased a 1973 Bertram28 FBC that has two(2) 1992 PMC 260hp gas engines. I would like to repower with diesel engines but I do not want to pay the new engine (ie YANMAR) high price. Could somebody recommend a used diesel engine choice for this boat?
    Thank you

2. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

What your paying for with the Yanmars is the very high power to little weight.

Any diesel from a used truck would be far heavier than you could use.

Steyer also had very light weight diesels , but parts , service life and reliability are still an unknown.

IF you could find out what the gas consumption at cruise was in GPH per engine , you may find a diesel with lower rated HP will provide same cruise speed and still be light enough.

Numbers?

FAST FRED

3. PowerTech

PowerTech Senior Member

you can find VOLVO TAMD 31's they will fit fine they are very rebuildable if need be.and should be cheap it wont be a speed boat ,but will push it allong fine on no feul at all.Findind used yanmar takeout's is rare but it happens I saw a pair of 4LH-STE 230 HP yanmars that are perfect for your boat for 10'000 each.They are long gone now.You can squeze in 6 cylinder VOLVO's like TAMD 41 42 43 or KAMD 42 43 but you may have to make a hump on the bottom of the hull for the transmition and getting to the belt's and raw water pump is a ***** because it will be only a few inches from the bulkhead.And those KAMD motors have allot of belt maintenance more than any other motor around.Old VOLVO's are a dime a dozen and easy to rebuild if needed.The KAMD VOLVO is a good motor once a mechanic has gone thrue every thing and the owner is made to understand how important maintenece on them.Very high maintenece.Well good luck

4. Corpus Skipper

Corpus Skipper Hopeless Boataholic

I've seen several with Cummins 4Bs, again, no speed boat, but those engines are available reasonably.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.