Help! Drift Boat!

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by FcStory, Dec 6, 2010.

1. FcStory

FcStory New Member

Im going to do it what ever you gents say lol.. just because im stubborn and would rather sink trying then to not try at all..

Can I (will it work) build a drift boat out of plywood and 2x4's.. ?

Like 1/2 in ply from lets say home depot..

Then seal it with resin and boat caulk..?

Thanks guys!

2. Ike

Ike Senior Member

The simple answer is yes, but I have to ad the caveat, it depends. How big will this drift boat be? 1/2 ply and 2 X 4s is pretty big stuff and would make a very heavy boat. You may not be able to bend 1/2 ply around the curves on the sides and bottoms. If this is a trailerable boat I would go with 3/8 and stitch and glue construction (eliminates the 2 X 4s) You could get ply from home depot but it would have to be the best exterior grade. You would have to make sure it is well sealed with epoxy resin.

You don't need caulk if you use stitch and glue construction. You can make an epoxy putty with epoxy resin and wood powder and use that to fill the seams. None of this is rocket science and fairly easy to do.

3. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Are there still shops that scarf-joint ply sheets ? Maybe you have to do it yourself........

4. cthippo

cthippo Senior Member

Like Ike said, Sure it can be done, but half inch is probably not the answer. The plans for a 15' sliding seat dory I have call for 1/4" on the sides and 1/4 or 3/8ths on the sides. I would also use 1x4s rather than 2x4s.

A coat of fiberglass or two on the finished boat and it should work beautifully.

5. FcStory

FcStory New Member

Ok, Im back with some concerns..

I have read a few places that it will cost 2,000 or more to build a drift boat.. But by my calculations, I can see it costing a ton less..

4x8x1/4 marine ply can run me about 34.00 a sheet..
    I'd need about 6 of them.. 204.00

200.00 for fiberglass kit..

and 50 for various bracing 1/4s

Or would stich and glue be just as strong? and I dont have to use beams..

6. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I find stich and glue to be time consuming. Chine logs are faster and fairly easy to work.

7. Ike

Ike Senior Member

Stitch and glue would be just as strong but the cost would be about the same. The cost of epoxy would probably be about the same as the cost of the wood. So it's six of one and half a dozen of the other. Personally, I prefer stitch and glue but as gonzo said, others like regular wood construction.

8. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Sure you can build from lumberyard stock. Its never the best but then again...you didn't ask for the best.

This drift boat design quotes 84 dollar materials from Home depot. Looks like you can build in a weekend.....Get to work...ask Santa for a gallon of epoxy

http://www.spirainternational.com/hp_mack.html
    Merry Christmas

9. cthippo

cthippo Senior Member

It is possible to get decent lumber, but you can't just pick it off the top of the stack. However, if you go through carefully and examine each board, you can get decent stuff. Also, if you look at the appearance grade stuff (it's in with the molding) that can be pretty good. You may have to destroy an entire unit to get enough good boards, but they get paid to clean up after customers :D

10. tinkz

tinkz New Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.