Holding hands:))

Discussion in 'Software' started by lazeyjack, Apr 10, 2007.

1. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

Guys, gals.
    you can probably see by my posts that I,m a hands on man, BUT I do struggle with CAD
    Can anyone PLEASE spare the time to hold my hand with Maxsurf(yes I,ve read and reread the manual)n I have literally done 200 hrs on this and got nowhere at all
    thanks Stu

1 person likes this.
  2. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

holding hands

You and me both, Jack :confused:

3. Crag Cay

Crag Cay Senior Member

It's best to ask questions about specifics and even upload the file with which you are having problems. Then I'm sure you will get the help you need.

Many of us don't have the time to simply 'hold hands' but are willing to help!

4. bhnautika

bhnautika Senior Member

Stu I have a bit of experience with maxsurf and other cad, I also have a little time on my hands at the moment. I might be able to help out.

1 person likes this.
  5. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

thanks people, Take delftship(free) I can not bring up the pink comb that smoothes lines, hightlight the line to purple, click curve, the feather does not appear? any idea, I will try post the file

6. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

file

see the flats, I follow tute but can not bring up that pink feathered comb

Attached Files:

7. raw

raw Senior Member

I just took a look at the dxf. Whilst I am not conversant in delftship, it looks at if your surface is defined as having straight sections in the longitudinal direction (hence the flats). In this case, there is no curvature, and thus you will not see a porcupine graph.

In maxsurf/rhino, this is fixed by looking at the longitudinal "degree" of the surface properties. Degree 1 is linear. Anything above will give curve. Degree 3 cubic splines are pretty common and usefull for most applications.

Again, I'm not familar with delftship per say, but this is where I'd be looking.

brett

8. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

G,day,
    i found the porcupine as you put it, but its so hairy like all over the page, the flats seemed there by default, no matter where you drag they are present
    I sent you a pm, ?
    two days ago

9. raw

raw Senior Member

I replied to you by pm 10/4 on tuesday. Did you get it?

I'll have to have a play with delfthip a little later to see if I figure it out. I'm not the best person on that program unfortunately.

10. bhnautika

bhnautika Senior Member

Stu the model in dxf seems to be made up of panels, which are going to be impossible to fair. Is this the sort of thing you are after, its three surfaces in Maxsurf.

Attached Files:

11. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

yes it is a two chine yacht based on Robert Clark Design, I jave the original dwgs from 1970,s, my mate sailed this boat around the Horn, very stiff she was
    i figured I must fair each line separately as it is they all show at once, I just gte so frustrated but I,ll keep on til I get it I do have maxsurf but cant seem to exprt it there Thank you v much

12. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

0oh I see, DUH I have made all the body sections, creases!! duh!!

13. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

ok, I,m sorter sorting it, another question,
    If I open a default file, and I want more depth to the hull, like more rocker , then the default comes up with a very high wooded topsides, in other words all is out of reasonable proportion. So if I type in Depth, say 800mm, the freeboard is nearly 3m, If I enter from (new) depth 500mm, then all is in proprtion, my question, is there a way of holding these acceptable proportions but increasing the hull depth? thank you, another day at the coal face, but beats plating a steel boat I guess

14. bhnautika

bhnautika Senior Member

Stu there is a quick way round your problem, create your default boat with a 500mm depth, then go to the project menu – project settings- main dimensions, then change the draft to 800mm.

15. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

actually I stumbled there by mistake, but it wont alter the wl measurement of base, so I will have neg values from base in offsets, er um that is when I learn how to find the offsets, thank you:))

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.