rebuilding a couple of DD 16v92 in frame, Hatteras sportsfish

Discussion in 'Diesel Engines' started by mydauphin, Mar 9, 2012.

1. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

I was thinking of rebuilding a couple of DD 16v92 in frame for a friend, a lot of work. But I am concerned about space. Any of you guys have rebuild these monster on the boat, they are on a 50' something Hatteras sportsfish. I don't have a problem with engines, just the conditions of working on the boat. He doesn't want to take motors out.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2012
  2. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

Wrong thread...

Anyways,a friend started doing this but gave up due to horrible space constraints.
    Depending on the boat-some you have to cut them up- they may come out easy and be quicker to get done.

If it were me I'd sign up to a Hatteras forum and ask the members

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Engines like that are often rebuilt in place. It's a real pain in the butt, though doable with careful prep and control. Controls would be isolation barriers (usually plastic sheeting) and working with a well cleaned (previously) compartment.

Most owners get all fidgety, when you talk about cranes and lifting off the pilothouse to gain access, so this is an option. With reasonable care you can get a good job out of it.

4. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

how do you rebuild a 16 92 in the boat, the pistons go in from the bottom. you would need enough room to lay the engine over. unless my memory decieves me you use a special tapered sleeve ring compressor and push the pistons in from the crank side. it has been a long time though.

5. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

The engine MUST be lifted , although it need not be removed.

UGH!

6. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

On a Hatteras, the hatches over the engines lift so there is enough room to lift the engines. You will have to make a cradle to hold them in place while you work. I use two long 4X4 on the edge of the deck and a beam with legs across to hold chainfalls.

7. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

It sounds like more work than I really want to do. I wouldn't mind if their were less pistons and turbos. Just a lot of work. I don't know where I would stick all the stuff as I took them apart.

8. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

In the cockpit or aft deck and wherever else. Rebuilding an engine in a boat is hard physical work.

9. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

Junk em and install a pair of DD series 60 engines and cut the fuel burn in half?

FF

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.