Bonding Coosa to a new transom with thickened poly iso resin?

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Bullshipper, May 30, 2019.

1. Bullshipper

Bullshipper Bullshipper

Will this work if I roughen fresh cloth and coosa surfaces with 36 grit and clamp and use a 1/4 notched trowel to spread paste?

Epoxy is 12x as expensive where I am in Mexico. VE resin is unavailble.
    1 1/2" Coosa 26 over 14 layers of mat and roving with laminating resin on 28' power catamaran with 225 hp twins, 4 m tons fully loaded

Thanks

2. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Don't know why you want paste, just use a layer of resin-rich thick mat and clamp it up tightly. Just make sure the transom glass isn't an uneven surface, so you get good surface-to-surface contact.

3. Bullshipper

Bullshipper Bullshipper

I don't want to try to grind the 6 layers of mat and roving comply flat with a disc grinder on sticky laminating resin, hence the idea of using the paste to even out the peaks and valleys created by the roving. But I really appreciate you suggestions and will think about it seriously.

4. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Wouldn't have to be completely flat, just no pronounced high spots. I guess it doesn't matter that much if you use a lightweight filler, if you "paint" some normal catalysed resin on the Coosa board and transom, before squeezing it all against your paste, that way you will get a better bond.