veggie oil as fuel?

Discussion in 'DIY Marinizing' started by adamanderr, Aug 10, 2007.

1. adamanderr

adamanderr Junior Member

is there any info on people using veggie oil as fuel like the land going diesels
    thanks

2. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Adam,

Search forum for "biodiesel". I tried it & came up with a good # of posts. Search funtion is on above toolbar.

Tim

3. CDK

CDK retired engineer

Biodiesel is probably not what he meant. That has already been treated (cracked) so it is interchangable with normal diesel or heating oil. Untreated vegetable oil can also be used as engine fuel but has a much higher viscosity so it must be preheated before it enters the (also heated) injection pump. I did some experiments 20 years ago. It works, but there is also a filtering issue because of the insoluble plant material in the oil that rapidly clogs up any normal fuel filter.

1 person likes this.
  4. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

I know there is a difference but many posts on Bio speak of veg oil also.

Tim

5. mongo75

mongo75 Senior Member

Adam, got to ford-trucks.com, and scroll down to "alternative fuels" section. Everything you need to know about running anything in a diesel. I've run #2, JP5, used motor oil (only small amount- not recommended due to acids in oil), biodiesel (makes me hungry smelling it) and straight veggie oil, but I just dumped it in the tank with #2, so I guess that doesn't really count. As long as you filter your oil down to 2 microns, and it is at least 150 degrees Farenheidt when it hits the injectors, you'll be fine. You need to start the engine on #2 or bio, and then shut off the engine on #2 or bio, to flush the WVO out of the lines. Otherwise, cold WVO will cause coking in the cylinders and caked up injectors over a prolonged period of time. It really doesn't take too much to do it the right way, and yyou benefit from free fuel. Email me or check out that website if you have any questions! Danny