Engine for a FRP Fishing boat

Discussion in 'Diesel Engines' started by nikkos5, Feb 19, 2011.

1. nikkos5

nikkos5 Junior Member

Hello everybody!

I'm writing my final project in order to get my degree and I'm projecting a FRP fishing boat for seining and I'm trying to find and adequate engine for this boat. I calculated the powering and I got 200 CV so I looked for commercial engines around this power. Right now I'm trying to decide between a 4LHA-DTP Yanmar engine or a D4-225 Volvo Penta one (It seems this one is more of a leisure boat oriented engine). I donĀ“t know much about this matter so any help or advice will be very welcome, thank you very much!!

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The D4 is basically a recreational engine. A good design will incorporate an engine that has service and parts available locally or wherever the operational areas will be. That is a very important parameter that is often overlooked. I think that the design would be more valuable if you include options for different engines. The builder or buyer can then decide which one is best. I know it involves a bit more work, but is more user friendly and more professional.

3. nikkos5

nikkos5 Junior Member

Yes, both are engines that are easily found in this area, however I don't need to have several options because this project is theoretical and is not for construction purposes so I need to choose an engine so I can use its technical characteristics in further calculations, such as weight and gravity center estimations, also I need the dimensions to place it in the blueprints. So I need an engine that would make sense in a real situation. Thanks for the tip though.

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Is it a recreational or commercial fishing boat?

5. nikkos5

nikkos5 Junior Member

Well, it is a commercial fishing boat made of FRP for purse fishing.

6. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

VolvoPenta has commercial grade engines too. Yanmar and Beta Marine would also work. What are your space restrictions?

7. Karl2

Karl2 Junior Member

The D4-225 is, today, mostly used in commercial applications. The pleasure ratings for the D4 is 260 and 300 hp.

Karl2

8. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

It actually starts at 180HP

9. JimBoatsUK4

JimBoatsUK4 New Member

Doosan build very good commercial engines (build under license from MAN I believe) which are well proven in workboats, fishing boats etc. You dont need a computer to fix them either which is a plus!

10. Aliboy

Aliboy Junior Member

For commercial use in a seiner I don't believe that either the D4 or the 4LH Yanmar are very suitable. A commercial seiner may be running close to max hp for extended periods so you are really looking at full commercial (D) ratings on engines. If I was actually building such a boat I would be looking for engines with a minimum of ~5.0l displacement and max power at say 2800rpm's or less. I have included a link here to a spec sheet for the sort of engine I would be looking at. It would probably have a service life 3 or 4 times longer than the Volvo and at least twice that of the 4LH Yanmar (which is an exceptionally good engine). http://www.powertechengines.com/IvecoMarine/N67-MNT-M28-MarineP3D04N003E.pdf.

When you are working commercially and maybe doing 2000 - 3000hrs per year, you don't want to be pulling the engine for replacement/rebuild every Christmas or two. I doubt you will find a hard worked D4 with more than 4000hrs on it, and probably not many 4LH's with over 6000hrs. A well maintained engine of the type in the link might go 15000 - 20000hrs between replacements/rebuilds.

11. nevilleh

nevilleh Junior Member

Hi,

The yanmar & volvo D4 engines are toys and will not give high hours expected in commercial use. They are high revving (bee in a biscuit tin scenario) and whilst their lightweight engineering makes them ideal for a leisure fast planing boat they wont last long when they are working on high hours spinning big props.

I would personally reccomend a Perkins M185 or M215 C which are 6 cylinders , turbo, non electronic and will be good for 10 000 - 15 000 hours.

Next would be the Iveco FPT range N67 block which again is good for high hours.

Both of the above being non electronic are very well priced (well below the price of a D4 or Yanmar) and have a fantastic track record.

I build commercial fishing vessels for a living and these are the most succesful engines available.

You may also look at Cummins & Daewoo - I do know that Daewoo do a very good 200 hp ish engine that has a good reputation in commercial use and is well priced.

You should really be looking for a slight derating if the engine is going to be used commercially ie high hours.

Also when selecting a gearbox remember about PTO takeoff for hydraulics if you are planning a net hauler or pot hauler etc.

Good luck

Neville Scotland

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.