Stainlesss prop

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by Itchy&Scratchy, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Itchy&Scratchy

Itchy&Scratchy Senior Member

Anybody know where to get a stainless steel prop for a two stroke Yamaha 40hp- about a 2004 model(the last of the two strokes I think -I may be mistaken)

Its the one with the grey paint/ plastics with the red decals.

Ideally in the UK or failing that elsewhere-I suppose the world is a smaller place these days.:p

Thanks

Justin

2. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

As far as I know the Yamaha props are the best for speed and torque. Unless you have a special purpose in mind I would suggest stick to the allu prop instead. It's less costly and would probably outperform most of the custom SS props. Just look after it around obstacles and it will last forever.

3. Itchy&Scratchy

Hey Fanie

Thats exactly the reason Im looking for a stainless prop-we are coming back to PE soon and I am bringing a brand new motor with in my container. The river that I use the boat on is littered with rocks under the mud surface and our props take a bit of punishment- no matter how hard you try to look after them.:p

Thanks
    Justin

4. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Putting a SS prop up may prevent the prop from getting destroyed so quickly, but this may break the drive components, and that is going to be even more expensive.

How about a jet drive, like they have in jet ski's. No prop on the rocks there...

5. fasteddy106

fasteddy106 Junior Member

Stainless props are more for efficiency and speed than being able to take a punch. While an aluminum prop gets banged up a bit easier it will minimize damage to your engine by absorbing much of the sting of the rocks. The stainless while being harder will still get dented, but transmit much of the shock to the shaft and gears of the engine. Not a good idea. Pay attention to where the rocks are and slow down. Best of luck!

6. Itchy&Scratchy

Hey Fast, unfortunately the rocks cant be seen except at low tide, we have cleared as many as we can from our little 'beach' but the river is tidal and they just keep coming.

When I say rocks, I mean loose rocks as in about half a football size, our river has many shifting sandbanks and you have to worm your way through channels to get where you want to be .

after what you guys said about the alloy props makes a lot of sense-from a drivetrain damage perspective. Better to have a prop that peels over on the edge than one which doesnt and destroys everything else.

Thanks , sometimes it takes a third parties view to highlight something significant.Thanks

regards
    Justin

7. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Choosing a prop to go over rocks????

Don't drive over them. Find somewhere else to ski or what ever. where is this anyway. Where do you go from Oxford?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.