Engine A frame

Discussion in 'Inboards' started by mikealston2428, Mar 13, 2014.

1. mikealston2428

mikealston2428 Senior Member

Hi all,
    I'm measuring up my A frame engine lighting frame to lift my chev 350 in to my boat, my question is how wide does the bottom need to be
    I need a hight of 3mtrs I am thinking 2mtrs either side of centre making frame 4mtrs wide at the bottom but it looks real wide ?

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

You only need enough to get everything to clear, whatever this works out to be. Figure a hefty load, particularly if it's oiled up and has the trans attached, so at least 700 pounds (325 kg). Some 2x6's with a doubled up 2x6 as the cross beam will work. Attach some diagonal braces, so it can't wrack as you hoist. Also allow for the hoist or come-along, so you don't come up short. The bottom of the support legs don't have to have a wide base, but if the legs "splay" a bit, it'll be more stable, especially if you have to swing, wiggle and "convince" the engine to move where you want in the process.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.