Encapsulated lead keel leaking

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by mawilliford, Apr 2, 2004.

1. mawilliford

mawilliford New Member

Geetings,

I recently purchased a Bristol 41.1 to go cruising. Due to osmotic blisters, I decided to peel and glass on a new bottom. I am using a layer of 13-08, and 10oz finishing cloth, with MAS epoxy (current plan). After peeling the boat, I noticed a few issues with the encapsulated centerboard keel. The Keel has 4 inch dark strip of glass 2/3 of the way up from the bottom of the keel on both sides. The dark strip appears to be bad, flaked glass. So, I figure I will grind it down to good glass and layup some more new glass in the area. So, far so good, until!!!

After three months on the hard (peeled), i noticed some wet glass near the bottom of the keel, about 4" from the bottom. I ground into it and an old 3/8" plug fell out of it. Then came about 2 gal of water out of the keel. I decided to drill more of my own holes (stopped at the lead) and let the water escape. All in all, I probably drilled about two dozen holes and found water on both sides of the keel, between the lead slabs and the glass.

Has anyone heard of this issue? How did the water get into that cavity in the first place? Here is my plan so far, did I miss anything?

1. Remove the centerboard, inspect trunk for delamination.
    2. Epoxy coat the inside of the trunk for good measure.
    3. Reinstall the centerboard and pin, and make sure this wasn't the source of water intrusion.
    4. Inspect potential small cracks in bilge near centerboard trunk, perhaps water came down from the bilge.
    5. Inject epoxy into my holes in the keel to fill any voids.
    6. Fill my 3/8" holes and continue my bottom job as planned.

Is this the right fix? I am looking for opinions/options. Also, is there reason to worry about this problem.

Thanks,
    mw

2. Miss America

Miss America Guest

Cap, It appears you have thought the process through - I would like to hear what the results are a year or so from now. Good Luck.

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Sometimes the lead comes loose in the laminate. It could be cause by the building method or hitting something. Can you pour epoxy from the top too?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.