Emission Controls - Politics Thread

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by marshmat, May 23, 2009.

1. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

NOTE- this thread is the political counterpart to: http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/propulsion/emission-controls-technical-thread-27515.html Technical discussion should go there instead.

It is looking increasingly likely that stricter emission control standards, of the sort now applicable to cars, trucks and factories, may eventually be imposed on boat engines. Already, many classes of engines in many jurisdictions are subject to restrictions on what can come out in the exhaust.

It seems about time that we, the members of boatdesign.net, sit down and share what we know about how emission control systems work and what problems will have to be overcome if car-like controls become mandatory in boat engines.

This thread is for discussing various governments' approaches to the emission control issue and to share opinions on what measures are justified and what measures are not. Since many folks on here seem to love political debate, I've separated this thread from the technical issues (see: http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/propulsion/emission-controls-technical-thread-27515.html ).

2. masalai

masalai masalai

Sorry Matt, but I fear it will be unavoidable... Most governments are bankrupt/broke/in deficit, and in this depression all will be desperate to raise taxes from any sucker that seems to have some money left.... If they don't get you there the price of fuel will get you as the taxes there will surely increase substantially....

Move to a country less able to check/impose such stupid taxes....

Buy the boat now and hope and pray that emissions standards are not retrospective....

Fit sails or hydrogen fuel cells or PV solar panels or buy a mothballed nuclear sub and use its engines? - - sorry not much help, but things look quite grim globally...

3. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

Interesting to find what countries don't have regulation and can you travel to US with a flag vessel from these.

4. masalai

masalai masalai

I gather so - as long as the vessel is legitimately flagged.... - easier also if respected and not suspect of drug running etc (does that apply to gold smuggling?:D:D:D)

5. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Hush, hush, mydauphin. Liberian registry is appealing enough to the big players as it is... ;)
    I suspect that, if a bunch of governments (Europe, US, Canada, maybe some of the other "developed" countries) get together and decide to clamp down on yacht and ship emissions, they won't ban foreign vessels from their waters on that account. But I'd bet that, just as the EU makes you pay their value-added tax if your boat spends a lot of time there, mechanisms would be put in place to deal with those who flag their vessel overseas but keep it in a jurisdiction with stricter regulations.

6. masalai

masalai masalai

I am led to believe that it is still "legal" to hang ones posterior over the sternrail and consign bodily excretia to the waters except in Sydney Harbour but I am not absolutely certain there - I know that the "people smuggling boats" in good condition have a little box with a hole in the floor hanging over the stern - shades of walking - or squatting at the end of a plank... :D:D:D adds new meaning to 'being pooped'....

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.