Eliminating High Speed Porpoising

Discussion in 'Inboards' started by Jango, Jun 8, 2008.

1. Jango

Jango Senior Enthusiast

For you Naval Architechs:

My 20 ft custom Inboard is starting to Porpoise at 82 mph, 12x15 prop turning 6200 rpm. I have plenty of throttle left for additional speed if it were not for the potentially dangerous bounce. Boat with driver and fuel weighs 2200 lbs with CG 87in from Transom.

My question: Would a Small diving plane, perhaps 6-10 in wide x 4 - 6 in. long welded to the bottom of my rudder Help this situation? I would think it would tend to pull the transom down overcoming the effects of the 16 deg. shaft angle? Has this been tried or will it just add drag. If this has a chance of working, How much down angle?
    Adding weight (people) behind the Engine does tend to eliminate the Porpoise at the expense of speed

Thanks, Jango

2. Guest625101138

Guest625101138 Previous Member

3. Jango

Jango Senior Enthusiast

Thanks Rick for your reply.

I probably should not have referred to my situation as Porpoissing. I am Not expierencing BOW LIFT, but rather TRANSOM LIFT caused by the 16 deg.(relative to the planing surface)Thrust angle of the Drive Shaft and Prop.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.