eli 8' dinghy?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by mwpessia, Oct 6, 2009.

1. mwpessia

mwpessia New Member

Has anyone ever heard of this type of boat? It is an 8' sailing dinghy built in the 70's and 80's by eli laminates co. of NY. When I contacted the manufacturer I was told only that they made about 50,000 of these in 8' and 9.5 versions during the 20 years that they were making boats, but I haven't been able to find any other information on this design.

2. KAC82

KAC82 New Member

I picked one up this year with a sailing rig and boards that I am planning on restoring this winter to use as a tender. I did a bit of digging and was able to find a copy of the original brochure. If you have any specific questions, I might be able to help.

Cheers,

Kris

Attached Files:

3. mwpessia

mwpessia New Member

Kris, hopefully you got my previous post. I did not realize that you had included the brochure already. Many thanks. I used to keep my past boats at Swansea Marina and am very familiar with the area. Small world. Mike

4. KAC82

KAC82 New Member

No worries. I hope the scan was helpful for you. I'm actually putting a private mooring in off the Cedar Cove beach, just south of the marina. Cheers.

5. ponchojuan

ponchojuan Junior Member

Converting Eli to sail

I've had an Eli hard dingy for over 20 years. The boat is bullet proof. It tows well and is great because you can actually stand in it.

Mine was just a rowing dingy and I want to convert it to sail. Any of you guys help me with some measurements to do the conversion? I need help with the center board and rudder (traces here would be ideal) and the placement on the keel.

Sounds like you has some luck with repsonse form the manufacturer. I'll try here next.

Poncho

6. tinhorn

tinhorn Senior Member

Man, those are cute boats! I just picked up a 12-foot ELI. It's long enough for five seats, which means I can pack it with about eight nieces and nephews, each with a paddle or oar, and run my own galley ship up and down the North River.

Man, if yours is a seven- or eight-footer, you oughta trade it to me for this 10' Roundabout. Rudder and daggerboard are already installed, but it needs some wood replaced.

Attached Files:

7. rudaid

rudaid Small Sail

Eli 8' Sailing Dinghy

I still own my Eli 8' sailing dinghy. It was given to me as birthday present 30 years ago.

Have sailed it in Barnegat Bay, NJ, Bogue Sound, NC and many small bodies of water wherever.

Have it based at Cozy Lake, Jefferson Township, NJ for the past ten years. Very low maintenance boat.

Have received several requests to sell but my grandkids like to use it too much.

8. LindaC

LindaC New Member

Eli Sail needed

Hello! I purchased a 1981 Eli dinghy and am in need of a new sail. The original one is completely shot. Does anyone know of where to obtain a new sail? Thanks.

9. John07960

John07960 New Member

eli 8' dinghy

Hi,
    I have an 8' Eli dinghy which I bought 8 years ago that came with an unused sail kit. I have had it out a couple of times but find the seating impossible. The straight tiller and non kick up rudder is a another problem. I would like to sell it to someone who understands it. This is it's Serial number ELX20062A990 which make me think it was from Sept.1990? John

10. alley cat

alley cat New Member

Hi John I am interested in your dinghy have 2of them please give me a call @ 6313744174 thanks allan

11. Peter Nack

Peter Nack New Member

Does anyone have plans for the Eli 8" dinghy daggerboard. I need to make one. Or would you take off dimensions, template or photo? email: pxn564@gmail.com cell/text: 631.521.4990

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
  12. Peter Nack

Peter Nack New Member

Kris, if this reaches you years after your post, I have a favor to ask. I need to make a daggerboard for the Eli 8' sailing dinghy. Could you take off the dimensions, or a template or sent me a photo email: pxn564@gmail.com cell/text: 631.521.4990

13. Diane

Diane New Member

I have a 16' Eli lapstrake hull design. Have it in my yard for the past 27 years, in excellent shape and hasn't been used since the late 80's. Is anyone familiar with this size Eli? My girls used to ride in it in Brooklyn, NY when they were little. Not sure what size motor can be used on it, cannot read that part of the plate. Any info would be greatly appreciated

14. MIDad

MIDad New Member

Looks like I might be the last one to the party but I thought I'd try anyhow. I have an 8' Eli Tri Hull rowing dingy. I have only owned it since the mid 70's. It was basically rated for a 2 hp outboard but because I got such a deal on a Johnson 2 1/2 hp outboard I had to get it. It served my family well, going to and from our mooring in Holland and then in Muskegon, Michigan. My wife and I used it to shuttle our 2 girls and 2 springers and a weekend of gear from shore to the mooring. It's been towed behind or stowed on deck of our 5 sailboats, and left at the mooring over the years. It was unsinkable, even when it rolled with the Johnson on it and a dog under it. Both survived the ordeal and we still have the functioning Johnson. It was ok for a couple of adults and the dogs but we started making 2 trips after the girls arrived. Since that time a 4 hp Yamaha became available and it also went on the transom of our little tri hull. Just last year three rather tall adults borrowed it. We have a picture of them and their trip to get ice with about 2 inches of freeboard. I think the capacity plate is just a suggestion, not really a limit???? Tongue in cheek, that's a joke son, so don't write and criticize. We just purchased a RIB so our little tri hull will be hitting the want ads soon. I think I can sell it but it's more than family. Oh, I never would've thought it had a sailing rig either. How do they sail? Summer might get here if Covid 19 ever leaves. Still waiting for a launch date. Stay safe.

15. RRT

RRT New Member

MIDad, can you post a photo of your 8' Eli Tri Hull rowing dingy?

I have a year 1986 7ft model, attached is a photo, suppose to be the same boat as yours, only 1 ft shorter.

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.