Finding an abandoned boat

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by nicola_a, Jun 7, 2011.

1. nicola_a

nicola_a New Member

Hi everyone,

I am seeking a disused wooden rowboat or other small boat. It can be very very damaged.

Obviously this is a worldwide forum (I am located in Melbourne, AU) but I was wondering if there is certain kind of place where I might have a chance at finding what I need - or if it is just luck of the draw coming across one?

Thanks in advance,

Nicola

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

3. Petros

Petros Senior Member

Nicola,

Go down to where they repair or salvage boats and look through the junk piles. Often larger ships will have what you are looking for as tenders or skiffs. If they are good they get taken, but ones in poor condition just end up in the junk pile. Anyplace there are large numbers of boats, especially commercial yards or repair facilities, will have what you are looking for. Get creative and think where there might be what you need, marine supply shops and boat yard are good places to go ask.

If you want one for photo or as a prop, that is the best place to look. If you just want a project, it is often less work and less costly just to build one from scratch and get what you want.

Good luck

4. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

go down to mordialloc creek and ask around . warneet boat club would be worth a shot to.

5. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

'wooden' is a bit vague.

If an abandooned boat is plywood, I wouldnt even bother to try to do any work on it.

If it is a 'proper' wooden boat, then it can be a great mental exercise to restore it.

If you ever get over tassie, make time to drop in to the 'Wooden Boat Trust' in Franklin. They often have old boats donated to them to repair. You may have to bring a trailer over on the ferry, but there are two dinghies in the workshop at the moment.

6. peter radclyffe

peter radclyffe Senior Member

can you contact john taplin on my facebook page and richard blake from blakes boats

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.