Paddlewheel speed transducer

Discussion in 'OnBoard Electronics & Controls' started by LP, Apr 9, 2009.

1. LP

LP Flying Boatman

I have an electronic speedometer made by Beede that I'm installing in my O/B. I don't have the transducer and have not had anything from Beede jump out at me. I see that Airmar has quite a few options, but I have not been able to gather the technical data to determine whether the two will interface.

Can anyone tell me if output signals fram paddle wheel transducers are standard in the industry. Can I grab any marine paddlewheel transducer, plug it into my speedometer and expect to work? Somehow, I don't think it will be that simple.

I'm thinking the Airmar S69 might be what I need, but would like to here some input from others.

Thanks!

Additionally, I'm planning to install a fishfinder. If I install a fishfinder with with a speed sensor, would it be possible split the signal pulse and send it to both the fishfinder and the speedometer?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  2. LP

LP Flying Boatman

More info.

I just heard from Beede.

"The speedometer will support a sinusoidal or square wave signal that carries at least 8V of amplitude. The S69 puts out a square wave with an amplitude of 12V."

I've found a source for the sending unit from a '93-'94 Seadoo GTX: part #278000276. I've had no luck in finding technical data on the unit so far.

If anybody has a lead for sourcing information on the data signal for that part, I would greatly appreciate it.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.