Question about Excel

Discussion in 'Software' started by kaptcatb, Mar 14, 2013.

1. kaptcatb

kaptcatb Junior Member

Hello all ,

I have little troubles and hope you guys can help me .
    I have 2 series ( y,z ) . First series have 35 values , when second have 12 values . I want to find intersection point ot these series . Normaly i used Excel add-ins called "XlXtrfun" , that contains some helpful function ( interpolation , intersection , dydx , etc .. ) , but in this case intersection function gives error .
    First series contain frame coordinates ( y,z ) , second is wave profile ( y,z ) . I want to find coordinates of intersection point for some hydrostatic calculations . I started measure coordinates in Autocad but this is slowly process -I have 20 frames and different wave profiles for any frame . See attached image if you dont understand me ( cyan line is wave profile ) .
    Any suggestions ? Continue with Autocad or ?

Thank you

Attached Files:

2. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

With AutoCAD you can get very accurate data and easily.
    For each frame:
    - Create an object "REGION" with its form
    - Another trapezoidal region represents the wave height.
    - Superimposing two regions properly.
    - Get the intersection of two regions.
    - The command "massprop" provide the area, perimeter, center of gravity and other properties of the resulting region.
    Longitudinally integrating the values ​​obtained for each frame you can get most of the hull hydrostatic properties.

3. kaptcatb

kaptcatb Junior Member

Thanks you for reply TANSL.
    My last work was connected with measuring area , Z and Y center of area , so im familiar with region and mass prop command .
    In this case if i create region - lets say i choice right half under wave profile - in mass prop command space Y is correct ( i talk about 7424.. in picture ) , when space Z is not correct ( should be 7699.. but gives 7353.. i think this is upper point in left side or region - where wave profile intersect CL ) .
    Should I continue with linear dimensions or can you recommend me another trick ?

4. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Sorry I did not fully understand what you say. Can you send me more details by e.mail?. Perhaps the AutoCAD file might help.
    My e.mail: 657677483@orange.es
    I can assure you, with AutoCAD and some subroutines, you can perform all naval architecture calculations for any floating craft

5. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

I do not know if the problem is this but you must always consider the situation of the frames from the origin of coordinates of AutoCAD. Must be located as shown in Figure

Attached Files:

• Axis.jpg
      Axis.jpg
      File size:
      25.4 KB
      Views:
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.