Electronic box layup

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by JSthebuilder, Jun 1, 2021.

1. JSthebuilder

JSthebuilder New Member

Hello there,
    I've been reading and learning from this forum for a while and I decided to register to get some direct feedback. Thank you in advance.
    I want to build this electronics box to be hanged from a T-top to replace the aluminum box that was full of holes from previous owners. I built an MDF female mold of roughly 33"x 10" x 15" which is already gel-coated and everything but I'm having doubts about the layup. I'm afraid the box will be too heavy for the application. I was planning on using the following layup schedule:
    1. 1.5 oz csm
    2. 1708 biaxial
    3. 1/2 foam core (top and bottom only)
    4. 1708 biaxial
    5. 1.5 oz csm
    I've read from other people building ice chests with similar layup schedules so I think I'd be overbuilding it. Any suggestions to make this electronics box lighter while keeping it strong and stiff enough to be hanged with some electronics inside?

2. KD8NPB

KD8NPB Senior Member

Little overkill.

personal approach;
    Skin
    1.5 oz CSM

Bulk sides
    1.5 oz CSM (3x)

Bulk bottom
    1.5 oz CSM
    4mm coremat (sub 1/2” foam core if screwing in to)
    1.5 oz CSM

3. JSthebuilder

JSthebuilder New Member

Thank you for your feedback.
    I already laid the first 1.5 oz CSM and 1708 all-around plus a 3/8 foam core at the bottom. It got heavy quickly. I think I'll leave it at that, finishing it with another 1.5 oz CSM.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.