Electrical Work....

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by RSpeerbrecher, Jun 6, 2006.

1. RSpeerbrecher

RSpeerbrecher New Member

I have recently purchased a 1981 Sea Sprite 18' open bow... I/O GM 3.8 120hp motor on it with an OMC outdrive. I have yet to take it on the water because I cannot find the partz I need at the local marinas and stores.

First off, the problem: There are 5 Celenoids on top of the motor 2 of which are for the trim and 2 more for the 'high tilt' of the outdrive the 5th one I have no clue about. The trim of the motor was working however, the 'high tilt' was hit and miss depending on the day u tried the switch. So to prevent problemz on the water, i decided to replace the one celenoid that was bad (after testing them with a multi-meter, post to post) replaced one, and got nothing (not even the 'click' i had before) so after consulting a few mechanics they said i would be better off replacing all of them then going from there to make sure i got the right one. so after that, i can no longer trim anything, and the motor will no longer even crank. I got the celenoids from the local auto parts store (autozone) and after replacing them, i was tld that marine celenoids are different from car celenoids (is that true? and could that be giving me this problem?)

Now the question: Would it hurt anything to re-wire it all down to have 3 celenoids? one for the trim one for the 'high tilt' and leave that 5th alone? and does anyone know of where i could find a wiring schematic of which wires are which on these celenoids (and the rest of the boat) so i don't have to pull everything off and re-wire it all.

Also, when purchased, I was told a head gasket was bad, however the oil is not milky, there are no air bubblez, and the engine seems to idle/run fine (with the water muffs on) is there any other way to check it without tearing it all apart?

Thank you much in advance....

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.