Electrical Question - Wellcraft

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by swtlisab, Dec 30, 2006.

1. swtlisab

swtlisab New Member

First, let us say we're so glad to have found this forum. Being avid fishing enthusiast we just bought our first larger boat (always had smaller bass boats) and we're glad there are other boaters out there to talk with and seek help.

We have a Wellcraft 2000 Open Fisherman 180 w/ 115 Johnson. We bought the boat used from a friend of ours just recently. The boat is in great shape except for a few minor electrical issues we're trying to figure out. Here's our questions.

1. Does anyone know where we can find the manual for the boat? I went to the Wellcraft site and the only Owner's Manual downloadable are for 2007 models. Our friend is still searching for the manual. Her husband bought the boat and recently passed away (which is why she sold it) so it might be a while, if ever, that she finds it.

2. The electrical questions: Ok, most of the gauges work, except the gas gauge. The boat running lights do not work either. Hubby has checked all the fuses and they are good. All wires seem sound and tight.

3. Can anyone tell us how to fill the livewell and baitwells for this boat?

Let me know if you need any more information to fill in the blanks.. We sure do appreciate your help.

Rick and Lisa

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

To troubleshoot an electrical problem, you have to start at one end of the circuit and follow it until you find the problem. Gas gauges are a rheostat that are fed 12V through the gauge and go to ground. The gauge is just a voltmeter. Check at the back that the + or I leg has 12V, then there should be 12V at the tank where the pink wire is connected. Then there should be a good ground on the leg at the edge of the pickup in the tank. If all that checks out, use a test light between the ground and the pink wire at the tank. If the gauge doesn't move, use the test light between the S and I/+ legs at the gauge, if it still doesn't move, the gauge is defective.

1 person likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.